node-bus is a project where the goal is to provide a really simple facility for pubsub-style eventing between clients and a central server.
Setting Things Up
Ensure that you have socket.io:
npm install socket.io
Download the node-bus repository:
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:node-bus/node-bus.git --recursive cd node-bus git submodule update --init --recursive
Then run the build:
Running the Test Server
Run the server:
cd apps node server.js
Then, navigate a browser to http://localhost:8080/
v0.1a - Long-polling support for the client, and functioning server. Chat example and the maintest test app.
v0.2a - Adding support for WebSocket graceful degradation to longpolling.
v0.3a - Major changes:
- Moved communication logic into a separate project.
- Added smart publishing (server only publishes to clients that have callbacks attached to the event)
- Created a collaborative drawing example
v0.4a - Major changes:
- Increased performance in unsubscribing by using objects for storing subscription handlers rather than arrays.
- Modularized much of the code base so that subscription handling is shared between the client/server.
- Started work on transformers.
0.5a - Switched backend engine to Socket.IO.
0.6a - Added transformers.