Node Inspector is a debugger interface for nodeJS using the WebKit Web Inspector.
- versions: 0.1.100 - 0.1.101
make a debug build of node
(NEW) There are two ways to use node-inspector. First I'll describe the easy way. As an example lets debug test/hello.js, from the root project directory (node-inspector)
start the inspector like this:
node bin/inspector.js --start=test/hello.js
open http://localhost:8080 in your favorite WebKit based browser
set some breakpoints, see what happens
This will start a child process (node_g --debug test/hello.js) and host the inspector interface at http://localhost:8080. The other way is to connect the inspector to an external node process.
start a node process: > node_g --debug=7878 test/hello.js
start the inspector: > node bin/inspector.js --debug-port=7878 --agent-port=8000
--start=[file] starts [file] in a child process with node_g --debug --start-brk=[file] same as start with --debug-brk --agent-port=[port] port to host the inspector (default 8080) --debug-port=[port] v8 debug port to connect to (default 5858)
This project started as a Chrome extension. For more info see the wiki.
- the WebKit Web Inspector debugger is a great js debugger interface, it works just as well for node
- uses a WebSocket to connect to debug-agent, so no polling for breaks
This is pre-alpha quality code, so use at your own risk:
- while not stopped at a breakpoint the console doesn't always behave as you might expect
- pause on exceptions doesn't play nice with the node event loop
- closing the inspector does not stop debugging, you must stop inspector.js manually
- opening more than one inspector window causes trouble
- the inspector could be extended to provide collaborative debugging with multiple inspectors connected to the same debug session.
- use a native node extension instead of the inspector.js as a separate process
- save application settings
- single instance only
- debug-agent needs a lot of work
- try out live edit
- Safari 5 extension
This project respectfully uses code from and thanks the authors of: