X-Road Data Exchange Layer
About the repository
This repository contains information about the X-Road, source codes, its development, installation and documentation.
X-Road source code
Source code of X-Road is open for all and it is licenced under MIT licence.
Introduction to X-Road
What is X-Road?
X-Road, the data exchange layer for information systems, is a technological and organizational environment enabling a secure Internet-based data exchange between information systems.
X-Road Data Exchange Layer is a standardised, cohesive, collaborative, interoperable and secure data exchange layer that gives service providers a completely new kind of opportunity of making themselves visible in services directed at citizens, businesses and civil servants. Creating entities that combine many different services and data sources is easy and cost efficient.
- Improves the quality of existing services and products
- Enables new types of service innovations
- Savings in infrastructure, archiving and other costs
- Standardised data security and privacy protection
- Easy implementation, data access via interfaces – after connecting all included services are available
See Data Exchange Layer X-Road for more information about X-Road.
Development of X-Road
X-Road development model and all the related documentation is published and maintained in the X-Road Development GitHub repository.
How to contribute?
Submit a pull request to X-Road source code Github repository or an enhancement request to the X-Road Service Desk. Sign up for an account and get access to the X-Road Service Desk and X-Road Backlog.
More information about contributions can be found in the X-Road Development repository.
How to build X-Road?
See instructions in src/BUILD.md
X-Road central servers, configuration proxies and security servers can be automatically installed with the Ansible scripts found in ansible subdirectory. See instructions in ansible/README.md
X-Road technical documentation
Further information about X-Road
More information about X-Road implementations
Estonia - X-tee
Finland - Suomi.fi-palveluväylä (in Finnish)
Estonia - X-tee contacts
Finland - Suomi.fi-palveluväylä contacts
The following activities, among others, are undertaken by the Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions (NIIS) with regard to the X-Road core:
- management, development, verification, and audit of the source code
- administration of documentation
- administration of business and technical requirements
- conducting development
- developing and implementing principles of licensing and distribution
- providing second-line support for the NIIS members
- international cooperation.
X-Road Technology Partners are enterprises providing X-Road consultation services, e.g. deploying independent X-Road instances, developing X-Road extensions and X-Road-compatible services, integrating informations systems with X-Road etc.
No support for X-Road deployment is provided here.