R script that uses 2-legged OAuth and BIM 360 API to extract projects' data from BIM 360 Account Administration
This is a sample code that shows how to use R programming to extract projects' infromation from a BIM 360 Account. The output of this script is a data frame that contains the project directory data from BIM 360 Account. A good way to use this script is by importing it as a data source in Power BI Desktop to analyze BIM 360 data.
1. Create Autodesk Forge App.
- Visit the Forge Developer Portal and sign up for an account
- Create an App. Callback URL is not being used by this script. When asked for the 'callback URL', you can use any URL
- Take note of the Client ID and Client Secret.
2. Add Custom Integration to BIM 360 Account
- Log into your BIM 360 Account Admin site, https://admin.b360.autodesk.com/
- Go to “SETTINGS” tab then to “Custom Integrations” tab
- Click on “Add Custom Integration” button to register your app for this specific account.
- Take note of the BIM 360 Account ID.
3. Setup R
- Install R: Here is a guide on how to install R, http://rprogramming.net/how-to-install-r-fast/.
- Load 'httr' and 'jsonlite' packages: Here is a guide on how load packeges to R, https://www.statmethods.net/interface/packages.html.
- Install RStudio (optional): Here is a guide on how to download and install RStudio, http://rprogramming.net/download-and-install-rstudio/.
4. Execute R script
Before executing the R script from the Export BIM360 Project Data.R file, input Client ID, Client Secret, and BIM 360 Account ID from steps 1 & 2 into lines 6, 7, and 8 of the script.
5. Execute R script in Power BI Desktop (Optional)
- Install PowerBI Desktop: Download from https://powerbi.microsoft.com/desktop/
- Click on Get Data and select R Script
- Copy the R script from the Export BIM360 Project Data.R file and Paste in the Script box
- Input Client ID, Client Secret, and BIM 360 Account ID from steps 1 & 2 into lines 6, 7, and 8 of the script.
- Click Ok and select BIM360_Project_Data table to load it to PowerBI
Power BI Template
To test how this R script works in Power BI, downlaod the following PowerBI Template for BIM 360 Project Data.pbit
The successful loading of the template should show results similar to this.