Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Welcome to the numerical-mooc wiki!
This repository is the core of the "Practical Numerical Methods with Python course. Each course module consists of a set of IPython Notebooks (links below to the rendered notebook on nbviewer), practice exercises and a coding assignment. To access the practice problems and assignment, you need to register in the GW Online course platform.
Module 0: Getting Started.
How is this course going to work?
Module 1: The phugoid model.
Module 2: Space and Time
Introduction to finite-difference solutions of PDEs
Module 3: Riding the wave
- Conservation laws and the traffic-flow problem
- Numerical schemes for hyperbolic PDEs
- A better flux model
- Finite volume and MUSCL methods.
- Assignment: Sod's test problems
Module 4: Spreading out
- Diffusion equation in 1D and boundary conditions
- Implicit schemes in 1D and boundary conditions
- 2D heat (diffusion) equation with explicit scheme
- 2D heat equation with implicit scheme, and applying boundary conditions
- Crank-Nicolson scheme and spatial & time convergence study
- Assignment: Reaction-diffusion with the Gray-Scott model in 2D
Module 5: Relax and hold steady