Let's research the landlord! New York City is in a housing crisis. Some landlords leave their buildings in despair and let their tenants suffer without heat in winter. Others evict their tenants, legally or illegally, in order to flip buildings and profit off of gentrification. Affordable housing is a scarce resource.
Residents, lawyers, tenants, and organizers who want to use data in their struggle turn to proprietary databases and resources, like PropertyShark, designed for real estate or contend with CSV and printouts from city websites. nycdb aims to give technologists and researchers who want to volunteer their time helping community groups who are defending the city against the real estate industry a leg up by providing a ready-to-use database filled with housing data.
nycdb is a python program that downloads, processes, and loads the following public datasets into postgres:
- Department of City Planning's Pluto: versions 15v1, 16v2, 17v1, 18v1, 18v2, 19v1, 19v2, and 20v8
- DOB Job Filings
- DOB Complaints
- DOB Violations
- HPD Violations
- HPD Registrations
- HPD Complaints
- HPD Repair and Vacate Orders
- Department of Finance Rolling Sales
- Tax bills - Rent Stabilization Unit Counts (John Krauss and Atul Varma's data)
- Marshal Evictions - From DOI via ANHD's Displacement Alert Project and API (built by Jade Ahking)
- ECB Violations
- Oath Hearings
- Property Address Directory
- J-51 Exemptions
- OCA Housing Court Records (zipcode)
Using the database
Create your own copy
Go to src/README.md for documentation on how to create your own copy of the database locally.
Use the Housing Data Coalition's instance
The Housing Data Coalition hosts their own copy ("instance") of nycdb. If you are not a member of HDC and would like to use it, please contact email@example.com
- Heatseek for ongoing support of the project and for their amazing work.
- @talos for his tax bill scrapping to get counts of rent-stabilization units
- NYCDB's programmers
- Housing Data Coalition for their support and for hosting nycdb workshops
NYCDB - Postgres database of NYC housing data Copyright (C) 2016-2020 ziggy & contributors This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Affero General Public License for more details.
The database files provided on this page are licensed CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.