T-SQL Flex is a scripting productivity tool for SQL Server Management Studio that uses the Red Gate SIP Framework. It is intended for use on non-production servers only.
T-SQL Flex can script out the returned schema and data of any T-SQL query simply and with high accuracy. It can also export the data to the XML spreadsheet format which can be opened in Excel without having messed-up date formatting or losing leading zeros; multiple result sets are automatically placed on multiple worksheets. It can also export the result of queries to properly-escaped CSV files.
T-SQL Flex is compatible with SQL Server Management Studio 2008 and higher, and requires .NET 3.5 on the server running SSMS. T-SQL Flex can be used when connecting to SQL Server 2000 as long as SSMS 2008 or higher is used; Note that the generated T-SQL scripts will only be compatible with SQL Server 2008 and higher.
To install T-SQL Flex:
Follow the instructions here.
Please either create issues on GitHub, or reach out to Steve on Twitter at @nycdotnet.
- v0.2.1-beta (2016-07-13):
- Fixed scripting of TIME to XML Spreadsheet (no longer crashes)
- Improved scripting of TIME to SQL scripts - can include up to 7 digits of scale.
- Improved scripting of DATETIME2 to SQL scripts - now includes scale number if relevant.
- v0.2.0-beta (2016-09-23):
- Implemented new script as C# feature.
- Many behind-the-scenes code improvements.
- Added escaping for several SQL keywords.
- Updated to work with NUnit 3 and RedGate SIP FW 220.127.116.11.
- v0.1.0-beta (2015-05-07):
- Reverted to use .NET 3.5 to restore compatibility with SSMS 2008.
- Added CSV export feature! T-SQL Flex can now export the results of any set of queries to properly-escaped CSV files that open correctly in Excel or any text editor.
- Added a handful of additional T-SQL keywords.
- Removed "This is alpha software" warning. Beta 1 will likely have only minimal further changes prior to the v1.0 release of T-SQL Flex.
- v0.0.11-alpha (2015-01-23):
- Updated to use .NET 4.5 - this version is now required to run T-SQL Flex.
- Improved scripter to continuously increment the "#Result" table number to prevent conflicts in a session.
- Fixed lockup of SSMS when switching between database servers. (#33)
- Fixed missing column header for anonymous columns in Excel export (#29)
- Added WEIGHT, TARGET, and NONE as T-SQL keywords.
- Implemented improved logging.
- Older patch notes are available here.
Debugging an add-in:
- See the Red Gate document on this issue: http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/MA/Debugging+an+SSMS+addin
- Compiles and all tests pass.
- Checked-in to master branch on GitHub.
- Updated version in both AssemblyInfo.cs files.
- Build in release mode, switch the registry to use release mode, and test it out.
- Run .\Deploy\prepDeploy.ps1
- Zip up the DLLs with the license, README, and installation instructions (rename all to .txt) and post to GitHub.
- Add a screenshot via GitHub and edit the README and release FAQ.
- Quit SSMS.
- edit .nuspec with version and patch notes.
- edit chocolateyInstall.ps1 with new GitHub release URL.
- Run from admin powershell (under TSqlFlex\Chocolatey):
cinst tsqlflex -source $pwd -pre( use
-forceif already installed)
cpush tsqlflex.VERSION_NUMBER.nupkg(you can type