Taking Off the Blindfold
|Time:||4:30 pm - 5:20 pm|
Visible Programming: Designing a programming environment around how human beings do human being things
Talk about programming environments: the software we use to create other software.
The purpose of a programming environment is not to increase productivity ( implies "type faster"), but to see and understand what the program is doing.
Five principles for the design of a programming environment
- Read the vocabulary -- what the program says
- Follow the flow -- what happens when
- See the state -- what's going on during execution
- Create by reacting -- sculptors start with a lump of clay and incrementally turn it into an element. The sculptor does not do a single pass and produce an elephant.
- Create by abstracting -- we have a tower of abstractions, and we start at the bottom with a simple abstraction, and the move up. The environment should provide the tools to do this.
Read the Vocabulary
Make the meaning transparent, and explain in context.
[ This talk was very visual, difficult to describe in notes. ]