xv6 GAIA port
This is a port of xv6 to GAIA, our own CPU architecture.
We did this at the student experiment at The University of Tokyo.
Rewriting xv6 is mainly done by @nullpo-head, @warelle and @m-hys.
Many improvements are also done by other team members.
To make xv6 work on GAIA, we did
- Rewrite all x86 dependent codes such as booting, interrupt, peripherals or task switch.
This was indeed heavy, but not as heavy as expected at first.
- Support page coloring.
To handle the cache coherency problem GAIA has at present.
About 1000 lines modifications are needed for these tasks.
For diff, see https://github.com/wasabiz/xv6/compare/6f8ad7a249fc9b47a449f0f35ec79aa0b01b0069...master
The original xv6 is a simple Unix like OS for education by MIT, which is targeted at x86.
For more detail, see http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2012/v6.html
What we did for porting
Porting needs much more than just rewriting xv6. Here is what we did for porting.
- Create the almost C89 compatible compiler
Maybe this is the biggest task. We made an almost C89 compatible compiler, UCC.
This is done by @kw-udon, @b-inary and @wasabiz.
The repository is at https://github.com/kw-udon/ucc/.
- Create the assembler
We made a simple but powerful assembler by python. This is done by @b-inary.
- Create the linker
The linking is done by some ruby scripts and makefile. This is done by @nullpo-head
Create CPU simulator
A software CPU simulator is necessary to develop CPU.
@b-inary mainly made this.
- Design CPU architecture
@b-inary and @wasabiz designed GAIA architecture.
@nullpo-head also joined for interruption and MMU.
- Create CPU by VHDL
GAIA is implemented on FPGA, Virtex-5.
@wasabiz wrote all VHDL source by hisself.
The repositroy is at https://github.com/wasabiz/gaia3
We also did some improvements.
- Add user programs
pwd, tiny vi clone, sl, 2048 and many user programs are added.
Try sl at least once!!
- Clean up the source codes
We separated kernel and user programs into different directories.
We also introduced a subset of standard libc. You can include '<stdio.h>', instead of '"user.h"'.
Xv6 porting is done in 4 months by
- b-inary (UCC, simulator, assembler), https://github.com/b-inary
- censored (MMU), https://github.com/censored--
- kw_udon (UCC), https://github.com/kw-udon
- MasWag (FPU), https://github.com/maswag
- mh (xv6), https://github.com/m-hys
- nullpo_head (xv6, simulator), https://github.com/nullpo-head
- warelle (xv6, simulator), https://github.com/warelle
- wasabiz (UCC, CPU), https://github.com/wasabiz