Simple Bitcoin price alerts
BTCPing.me is a simple Bitcoin price notification app. You can use a fully hosted version of the app at http://btcping.me for free forever. If you want to host your own, though, I've made the source available in this repo.
Setup instructions (local)
- Run 'bundle install'
- Set development database credentials in config/database.yml
- Run 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'
- Go to config/secrets.yml and set values for the following keys
- devise_secret (any secure random string just like secret_key_base)
- mail_intercept_address (address to which you want all emails routed in development)
- smtp_address (ex. smtp.mymailhost.com, mail.mymailhost.com, send.mymailhost.com etc)
- smtp_domain (domain for the above)
- smtp_user_name (ex 'email@example.com')
- smtp_password (the password for the above account)
- run 'bundle exec whenever --update-crontab btcpingme'
Note that price lookups and notification email delivery happen within the rake task "send_alerts". If you invoke 'whenever' as indicated above your crontab will be given an entry to run this rake task (on whatever schedule you indicate in config/schedule.rb)
Below you'll find some images of the app.