Integrating badges using a Chrome Web Extension
The o2r-extender is part of the o2r project which aims to make reproduction of research results possbile:
The o2r-extender consists of a Chrome Web Extension that allows for integration of badges on several research websites. Additionally, it integrates buttons for the o2r project into data repositories and collaboration platforms.
Based on the study project "Badges for computational geoscience containers" available at geocontainer-badges/reproducability.
In order to use this API, make sure that you have installed Chrome and enabled extensions in the settings.
Web store installation
To install the extension directly from the Chrome Web Store open the following link and click the "Add to Chrome" button:
Clone this repository:
git clone https://github.com/o2r-project/o2r-extender/
Add the o2r Badge Integrator extension:
- make sure that "Developer mode" in the top-right corner is enabled,
- click "Load unpacked extension..."
- and select the
o2r Badge Integratordirectory of this repository.
Start the o2r-badger to generate badges. Installation instructions
Right click the new "o2r" extension icon and select
options. Change the
Badge endpointsetting to the local badger address, e.g.
When visiting one of the supported websites make sure to allow mixed content in Chrome:
- select "Load unsafe scripts" by clicking the shield icon in the address bar (detailed explanation)
Upon successful installation, you will notice the applications' icon in the top-right corner next to the URL line. Navigate to your chosen website, search for the name of the research you are interested in, and everything will happen automatically. Filter and badges are loaded and nicely integrated into the service's search results.
Supported research services
- PLOS: Partially supported, no filter (reason: technical problems with the PLOS JS framework)
- ScienceDirect: Fully supported
- Google Scholar: Partially supported, no big badges (reason: no detail page)
- MS Academic Search: Fully supported
- Mendeley: Fully supported
- DOAJ: Fully supported
Supported data repositories
Supported collaboration platforms
npm install -g chrome-webstore-upload-cli
- add a tag matching the version from
git tag v0.1.0
- go to directory
extensionand put keys and IDs into environment variables:
cd extension EXTENSION_ID=fhhfncpkfohlhphlcgpkbpialfhkmbil CLIENT_ID=<secret> CLIENT_SECRET=<secret> REFRESH_TOKEN=<secret>
- upload directory bash``` webstore upload --extension-id $EXTENSION_ID --client-id $CLIENT_ID --client-secret $CLIENT_SECRET --refresh-token $REFRESH_TOKEN
- publish extension ```bash webstore publish --extension-id $EXTENSION_ID --client-id $CLIENT_ID --client-secret $CLIENT_SECRET --refresh-token $REFRESH_TOKEN
- push the tag to GitHub
git push upstream v0.1.0
List of contributors
- Antonia van Eek
- Clara Rendel
- Lasse Einfeldt
- Laura Meierkort
- Marlena Götza
- Salman Khalid
- Shahzeib Tariq Jaswal
- Nimrod Gavish
- Matthias Mohr
- Daniel Nüst
- Lukas Lohoff
This project is licensed under Apache License 2.0.