Oh Hey World is a location sharing platform allowing you to share your location with the people who matter.
Note the Oh Hey World team is now working on Horizon, which facilitates private hospitality exchanges for existing communities.
Imagine a travel experience like the following...
I arrive in a Chiang Mai on a Wednesday morning. Turn on my phone, and am greeted with a push notification, “You have 6 personalized gems waiting…” I click.
- I see a promotion for 20% off ZIP lining with Flight of the Gibbon (which is an awesome day trip I went on last year). I book it with one click.
- A great photo of a pagoda at night.
- A tip from a local food junky who lives in Chiang Mai to visit the Mrs Pa’s Smoothies at Chiang Mai gate. Directions are one click away.
- A recommendation that Anoma is a great, quiet place to stay once, with superb wifi.
- Tomorrow (Thursday) is trivia night at the UN Pub.
- Punspace is the co-working spot where geeks work during the day.
Ok, awesome. But I have a question, “where is the best place to get decent American food”? (I wouldn’t ask that given Thai is my favorite food, but I know many would) No problem, there is a prompt to type my question in, knowing I’ll get a response from a trusted human within minutes. Oops, one more question. “Where can I get a haircut near Chiang Mai gate?” Boom, an answer hits my phone a few minutes later, with directions from my hotel one click away and a quick recommendation to take a Songthaew for 20 baht instead of a cab for 100.
All information is personalized, based on my likes, dislikes, and past travel habits. No spam. Everything is vetted and curated. This arrival experience exists for every city in the world.
So, how do we get there?
A community of like minded travel technologists who believe in the power of connected and socially conscious travel experiences -- all of whom have the overarching goal of getting more people to explore the world with their own two eyes rather than just from their computer & television screens. Those who have traveled extensively know that travel leads to a better, more balanced perspective on the world.
What It Is
We think of Oh Hey World an open-source location sharing platform that acts as a free, flexible, fundamental building block for travel startups of any size. Whether you are just creating a content site for one country, or a full blown venture funded startup, there is something here for you.
Oh Hey World is:
A user trust system that grants users the ability to see mutual friends and interests of others.
A contemporary, robust technology stack, free of legacy PHP and MySQL constraints.
Our goal is to foster an active community of contributors, all of whom commit to free, simple, pleasant to use location sharing software that can thrive in an Internet age where location sharing is fragmented across dozens and dozens of apps, websites, and phones.
Oh Hey World has the potential to serve as the beginning of a travel content delivery network.
- Visit Oh Hey World
- Sign up for a user account (FB recommended).
- Check-in to the city you are in.
Location sharing - Foursquare at the city level. Share your location with the people who matter with one click.
"Welcome Kits" - The cliff notes version of TripAdvisor. Enable travelers to find city-specific tips and advice from individuals or curated per travel profile.
Location Aware Communities - a member directory focused on discovery of other community members nearby.
Location Aware Tag Result Pages - sort matching tags based on proximity in the physical world (based on OHW check-in locations)
My Network on a Map - show your FB friends, on a map (feature still need work)
- The OHW iOS app
- [Android app - needed]
- [Windows app - needed]
- [Automatic check-ins from Foursquare - needed]
- [Automatic check-ins from Facebook - needed]
See this wiki page: (https://github.com/oh-hey-world/ohheyworld-platform/wiki/Possibilities)
Oh Hey World is built from the following open source components:
- Ruby on Rails - Our back end API is a Rails app.
Oh Hey World is 100% free and open-source. We encourage and support an active, healthy community that accepts contributions from the public. We'd like you to be a part of that community.
Before contributing to Oh Hey World, please:
- Review the VISION statement, to confirm that you understand the focus of the project,
- Read and sign the Electronic Oh Hey World Contribution License Agreement, to confirm you've read and acknowledged the legal aspects of your contributions, and
- Dig into CONTRIBUTING.MD, which houses all of the necessary info to:
- submit bugs,
- request new features, and
- step you through the entire process of preparing your code for a Pull Request.
- Not sure what to work on? We've got some ideas!
We look forward to building the most amazing travel platform on the planet together.
Horizon - hospitality exchange
The original Oh Hey World team is now building our second travel product, Horizon using the learnings gained from Oh Hey World.
Copyright / License
Copyright 2014 Oh Hey World, Inc.
Licensed under the GNU General Public License Version 2.0 (or later); you may not use this work except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License in the LICENSE file, or at:
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
Inspiration from Discourse - Readme