WhiteRabbit is a small application that can be used to analyse the structure and contents of a database as preparation for designing an ETL. It comes with RabbitInAHat, an application for interactive design of an ETL to the OMOP Common Data Model with the help of the the scan report generated by White Rabbit.
- Can scan databases in SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MS Access, Amazon RedShift, Google BigQuery, SAS files and CSV files
- The scan report contains information on tables, fields, and frequency distributions of values
- Cutoff on the minimum frequency of values to protect patient privacy
- WhiteRabbit can be run with a graphical user interface or from the command prompt
- Interactive tool (Rabbit in a Hat) for designing the ETL using the scan report as basis
- Rabbit in a Hat generates ETL specification document according to OMOP template
|White Rabbit||Rabbit in a Hat|
White Rabbit and Rabbit in a Hat are pure Java applications. Both applications use Apache's POI Java libraries to read and write Word and Excel files. White Rabbit uses JDBC to connect to the respective databases.
Requires Java 1.8 or higher, and read access to the database to be scanned. Java can be downloaded from http://www.java.com.
For the distributable packages, the only requirement is Java 8. For building the package, also Maven is needed.
- Under the Releases tab, download
- Unzip the download
- Double-click on
bin/whiteRabbit.baton Windows to start White Rabbit, and
bin/whiteRabbiton macOS and Linux.
(See the Wiki for details on how to run from the command prompt instead)
- Using the files downloaded for WhiteRabbit, double-click on
bin/rabbitInAHat.batto start Rabbit-In-A-Hat on Windows, and
bin/rabbitInAHaton macOS and Linux.
Note: on releases earlier than version 0.8.0, open the respective
RabbitInAHat.jar files instead.
Example in- and output
examples.zip contains a set of input and output examples for White Rabbit and Rabbit in a Hat.
These are used for testing of the main White Rabbit and Rabbit in a Hat features. An overview is given in below table.
||csv files to test scanning on different data types and long table names.|
||sas7bdat files to test sas input|
||Scan reports created from files in
This folder also includes fake data generated from the csv scan report. The csv scan report is used to test the opening a Scan Report in Rabbit in a Hat.
||An example mapping file used to create the Rabbit in a Hat outputs.|
||All export formats created by Rabbit in a Hat: as word, html, markdown, sql skeleton and the R TestFramework.
These are all generated from
- User guide and Help: WhiteRabbit Wiki
- Developer questions/comments/feedback: OHDSI Forum
- We use the GitHub issue tracker for all bugs/issues/enhancements
- Historically, all files have CRLF line endings. Please configure your IDE and local git to keep line endings as is. This avoids merge conflicts.
WhiteRabbit is licensed under Apache License 2.0
White Rabbit and Rabbit in a Hat are structured as a Maven package and can be developed in Eclipse. Contributions are welcome.
To generate the files ready for distribution, run
Production. This program is being used by many people.