catfriend is a ruby program that checks your e-mail and creates desktop notifications using dbus. It can create notifications on all window managers that support the freedesktop notification specification including KDE, Gnome, Awesome.
- Can check multiple accounts.
- Uses IMAP IDLE to notify as soon as mail arrives rather than polling.
- Simple configuration file format.
- Updates an account's notification if it has not been closed rather than creating duplicate notifications.
- Supports IMAP accounts with or without SSL.
- Can be shut down using dbus (catfriend -s).
- Does not punish the fearless.
The fourth step is only necessary if you are using a mail-server with a self-signed SSL certificate. This is a security measure to protect you from spoofing.
$ gem install catfriend $ cd ~/.config/catfriend $ edit catfriend $ wget http://location.to/ssl-public-key.pem $ catfriend
The configuration file lives at ~/.config/catfriend. Here is an example config:
imap imap.gmail.com id fun # used instead of host in nofifications when available user email@example.com password faptap cert_file server.pem # relative to ~/.config or XDG config dir imap insecure.work.com user firstname.lastname@example.org password insecure nossl # turn off ssl, it is on by default work # mark as work account, -w command-line argument enables it # Time notification remains on screen in milliseconds notificationTimeout 10000
- Support POP3/Atom/RSS