--- css_files: web/base.css web/release-index.css all_docs_url: - version_url: - ---
This is the home page for version 0.10.1 of Oil, a Unix shell. To use it,
- Download a source tarball.
- Build it and do a "smoke test", as described in INSTALL.
These steps take 30 to 60 seconds on most machines. After installation, see Getting Started.
Test results, metrics, and benchmarks are shown below.
oil-native is a preview release, not a working shell.
- Details are in the raw git change log. Not all changes affect the release tarball.
- I sometimes write a release announcement with a high-level description of changes.
The Doc Overview links to all docs. Here is the subset of them that are ready to read:
- Getting Started
- FAQ on Documentation. Look here if you can't find something.
- The Oil language:
- Language Design:
- Interchange Formats:
- OSH Help Topics (in progress) | Oil Help Topics (in progress).
- Github Wiki for oilshell/oil. The Oil Deployments wiki page has other ways of getting Oil. These versions may not be up-to-date.
Tests, Benchmarks, and Metrics
The associated quality page has many measurements.