A shell script which turns your OS X laptop.py into an awesome fullstack web development machine using Python. Inspired by ThoughtBot's laptop.py for Ruby on Rails
It can be run multiple times on the same machine safely. It installs, upgrades, or skips packages based on what is already installed on the machine.
Older versions may work but aren't regularly tested. Bug reports for older versions are welcome.
Download, review, then execute the script:
curl --remote-name https://raw.githubusercontent.com/andela-bojengwa/laptop.py/master/mac less mac #review the content of the script file sh mac 2>&1 | tee ~/laptop.log
Your last laptop.py run will be saved to
~/laptop.log. Read through it to see if
you can debug the issue yourself. If not, copy the lines where the script
failed into a new GitHub Issue for me. Or, attach the
whole log file as an attachment.
What it sets up
- PIP for managing Python packages
- Exuberant Ctags for indexing files for vim tab completion
- Foreman for managing web processes
- gh for interacting with the GitHub API
- Heroku Toolbelt for interacting with the Heroku API
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries
- ImageMagick for cropping and resizing images
- Postgres for storing relational data
- RCM for managing company and personal dotfiles
- Redis for storing key-value data
- The Silver Searcher for finding things in files
- Tmux for saving project state and switching between projects
- Zsh as your shell
It should take less than 15 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
~/.laptop.local is run at the end of the laptop.py script.
Put your customizations there.
#!/bin/sh brew_tap 'caskroom/cask' brew_install_or_upgrade 'brew-cask' brew cask install dropbox brew cask install google-chrome brew cask install rdio gem_install_or_update 'parity' brew_install_or_upgrade 'tree' brew_install_or_upgrade 'watch'
Write your customizations such that they can be run safely more than once.
mac script for examples.
laptop.py functions such as
can be used in your
See the wiki for more customization examples.
laptop.py is maintained by Bernard Ojengwa.
Thank you, contributors!
Special thanks to thoughtbot for the awesome tool, laptop
brew install shellcheck
laptop.py is © 2015 Bernard Ojengwa. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.