Half of requirements, half needs of Tails.
It is a documentation project, "plug-and-play" sequence of instructions to cretate standard, reliable and secure live USB using:
- standard Linux: minimal Debian Stable
- Live USB basic or persistent options
- Mozilla Firefox and other basic tools as Tails reccomendations, but without Tor.
- Updates, care, etc. as Tails reccomendations, but without Tor.
Status of this version
It is only a procedure (sequence of terminal instructions) to make a bootable pendrive with Debian system. Next version will add more "secure procedures"... But only far future will be "Tails without Tor".
The HalfTails conventions (2017)
Current (2017-03) general conventions (for rationale see Wiki),
- Stable Debian 8 (Jessie) and GNOME Shell. So
mkusb(the most reliable USB maker).
- Mozilla browser, SSH terminal, etc. So: preserve basic tools, and option to remove all other (that is not relevant for HalfTails-standard-users).
Easy to copy/past to terminal, direct instructions in
- From Ubuntu, Debian or Mint
- From Windows
- From OSx