Marauder's map helps students see where other students are on Olin's campus.
This is the start of an attempt to modernize The Marauder's Map @ Olin, an application written between 2008 and 2010 by Andrew Barry and Ben Fischer. It used wxPython, PHP, and MySQL.
This repository is for client development. For server development, see [https://github.com/ohack/maraudersmap-server/](Marauder's Map Server Repository).
In addressing some of the issues of the previous version of Marauder's Map @ Olin, we will strive for the following:
- Code will be legibile and compliant with PEP8 and commented (using the Sphinx .rst markup syntax)
- Code will have tests to document its status (using the Python unittesting framework)
- The project will be documented in a way such that it can be extended, replicated, and/or restarted relatively easily
- Standards and standard libraries will be leveraged where available, i.e. JSON for communication general good practices
- The project will be open and involve as many students as possible; perhaps it can be leveraged in future applications?
- master -- This is where you are now and where releases are to be found.
- development -- This is where active development is happening. Stuff here generally works, but is in flux.
- playground -- This is where we try out crazy new ideas, don't follow standards, and write unstable code.
- gh-pages -- This is the documentation branch. Never edit files in this branch manually; use
docsto generate updated documentation.
v2.0.1a - Initial Alpha Release Changelog
- client has been rewritten from the ground up using the QT GUI framework
- client can open the web application in standard mode
- client can open the web application in placement mode, allowing the user to set his or her position manually
- client can authenticate with the map server
- client broadcasts locations in the background
- client's update frequency can be configured in the interface's preference window
- client runs from source on Windows
- client can be distributed as an app on Mac OS X