Olin College Student Government Repository
Originally established after the COReDesign of 2010, the 2015-2016 Council of Olin Representatives (CORe) re-established this GitHub repository in order to keep track of Student Government Governing Documents and their amendments over time.
The documents here on the
master branch represent what is currently being used
by student government. PDF editions and previous versions can be viewed at
the releases section of
List of previous significant versions:
- v2.0.0: governing documents after the 2015 Restructuring
- v1.0.1: the initial version uploaded to the repo circa 2013
Amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws are listed below and can also be
viewed as Pull Requests with the
Ratified for the 2019-2020 academic year on October 4th, 2019.
Student Government Constitution
Ratified at a Town Meeting on March 5th, 2015.
Re-ratified at a Town Meeting on April 13th, 2018.
Re-ratified at a Town meeting on February 12th, 2020.
- 2020-02-12 CA-1920-007: Acknowledge that student activities fee is done every semester, not every year.
- 2020-02-12 CA-1920-006: Generalize definition of bylaws.
- 2020-02-12 CA-1920-005: Automatically defer power to assistant director when Committee Director is not present.
- 2020-02-12 CA-1920-004: Clarified role of CORe in opening section.
- 2020-02-12 CA-1920-003: Refer to the bylaws for committee appointment process.
- 2020-02-12 CA-1920-002: Change spelling of by-laws to bylaws.
- 2020-02-12 CA-1920-001: Update constitution sunset to 2022.
- 2018-04-13 CA-1718-001: Resurrect the constitution.
Student Government Bylaws
Originally passed at a meeting of the Student Government on May 1st, 2015.
- 2020-03-04 BA-1920-012: Changed every instance of by-law to bylaw
- 2020-02-05 BA-1920-011: Change the name of the Rep. to MarCom and DFAR to Rep. to Advancement.
- 2020-02-05 BA-1920-010: Added charter requirements to student group classifications.
- 2020-02-05 BA-1920-009: Changed default election monitor in the case of no candidates.
- 2020-02-05 BA-1920-008: Assigned club fair and transparency document responsibilities to CCO.
- 2019-12-05 BA-1920-007: Create more clearly outlined audit process.
- 2019-12-05 BA-1920-006: Change list of student groups.
- 2019-12-05 BA-1920-005: Add winter elections.
- 2019-11-07 BA-1920-004: Increased scope of SG members who Student Body can propose by-law amendments to.
- 2019-11-07 BA-1920-003: Generalized wording on the forms transparency documents can take.
- 2019-11-07 BA-1920-002: Added committee appointment process to CORe bylaws.
- 2019-05-06 BA-1819-002: Updated virutal funds to reflect current practices.
- 2019-05-06 BA-1819-001: Minor grammar fixes.
- 2018-04-04 BA-1718-003: Added reading the Student Government Constitution to the onboarding process for all officials.
- 2018-04-04 BA-1718-002: Changed the definition of the Student Body to "all currently enrolled students of Olin College."
- 2018-03-07 BA-1718-001: Updated CCO by-laws to reflect current practices.
- 2017-04-26 BA-1617-007: Clarified the election process.
- 2017-04-26 BA-1617-006: Changed the audit process such that the Chair and the Vice Chair of the Honor Board can conduct the audit of the Honor Board themselves.
- 2017-04-26 BA-1617-005: Made the SG audit a two-step process where the spring meeting is a follow-up for the fall meeting.
- 2017-04-26 BA-1617-004: Moved the timing of the Student Government Audits to the end of the semester instead of mid-semester.
- 2017-02-01 BA-1617-003: Removed obsolete wording.
- 2016-10-05 BA-1617-002: Assigned CCO the responsibility of keeping a record of all student groups, committees, and branches of the government
- 2016-10-05 BA-1617-001: Replaced "Representative to Operations" with "Representative for Campus Services."
- 2016-04-04 BA-1516-012: Moved the Honor Board election procedures into the By-Laws, adjusted CORe role descriptions, shortened the spring elections, and changed how we report students on faculty and operational committees.
- 2016-03-07 BA-1516-011: Changed the By-Laws to present tense.
- 2016-03-07 BA-1516-010: Changed class events funds to class funds and aligned class rep role descriptions to practice.
- 2016-03-07 BA-1516-009: Changed the budget approval procedure, clarified wording, and further defined the audit process.
- 2016-02-01 BA-1516-008: Aligned the Assistant Director of Service role description to practice and removed service group classifications.
- 2015-12-04 BA-1516-007: shorten the committee appointment timeline from 6 days to 3 days.
- 2015-12-04 BA-1516-006: Eliminate a specific time for meeting.
- 2015-12-04 BA-1516-005: Eliminate wording saying funding guidelines for the SAF must be created.
- 2015-12-04 BA-1516-004: Increase Spending Limits on Food from $2 to $3.
- 2015-11-06 BA-1516-003: Reduce restrictions on classifying student groups as organizations.
- 2015-09-03 BA-1516-002: Add a resignation procedure.