Game Art and Development
Examples, tutorials, and references for
- ART 270 Art for Games
- DIG 250 Game Development
Thinking about Games
- The International Journal of Computer Game Research
- Extra Credits
- Another Castle Podcast
Tutorials and References
Step by step lessons
- Class Reference Sheets
- Official Unity Tutorials - Covers a range of projects and topics.
- Brackeys - Most popular Unity learning channel on YouTube offering high quality guides and walkthroughs.
- Unity Community Wiki Tutorials
- CMU Unity Wiki
- Unity Tutorial: Intro to 2D World building w/ Tilemap (parts 1–8)
- Brackeys: Tilemaps in Unity (13:44)
- Class Scripting References: 01, 02, and 03
- Unity Scripting Reference
- Unity Tutorial: Scripting (e.g. Vector Maths
- Unity Manual: Scripting
- Unity Community Wiki Scripts - Massive resource with many examples (on the tabs at the top)
- Catlike Coding: Unity Tutorials - An in-depth series of tutorials that starts with the basics and covers object management, rendering, and procedural content generation.
- Introduction to Unity Serialization and Game Data
Performance & Optimization
- Brackeys Animate 2D Characters in Unity (15:40)
- Using Cinemachine in 2D for Unity by Jared Halpern
- Brackeys 2D Camera in Unity (Cinemachine Tutorial) (9:18)
Content for your projects
- Unity Asset Store
- pixeldudesmaker procedurally-generation sprite tool by 0x72
- 16x16 Dungeon Tileset version 1 and version 2 by 0x72
- Boords - Collaborative storyboarding. Add drawings, dialogue, and organize events in your game. See also "How does E-Learning company Banzai use storyboards?."
- Silkscreen by Jason Kottke
- shadertoy.com - A massive collection of shaders with code and visual samples
- [https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/soundlibrary.htm](The Yellowstone sound library) - Free sounds from Yellowstone Ntl. Park
Book Source Code
- Halpern, Jared. Developing 2D Games with Unity. APress, 2019
- DaGraca, Micael, and Greg Lukosek. Learning C# 7 By Developing Games with Unity 2017 (3rd Ed.). Packt, 2017.
Books we recommend
In addition to the two assigned books (above) here are some additional books we recommend checking out for learning Unity:
- Hocking, Joseph. Unity in Action: Multiplatform Game Development in C # (2nd Edition). Manning, 2018.
- Ferro, Lauren S., and Francesco Sapio. Unity 2017 Game Development. Packt, 2018.
- Godbold, Ashley, and Simon Jackson. Mastering Unity 2D Game Development (2nd Edition). Packt, 2016.