Interactive map of OldSchoolCT Instagram photos by Johnna Kaplan. Jupyter Notebook downloads and processes photos from Instagram.
- All photos of one-room Connecticut schoolhouses copyrighted by Johnna Kaplan, and publicly viewable on her Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/oldschoolct/
- Coding and map design by Ilya Ilyankou and Jack Dougherty.
- Python tool to download Instagram images and metadata https://instaloader.github.io/
- Many thanks to Elizabeth Rose for researching school site addresses to improve geographic precision.
See the notebook for processing steps (including download). All photos are saved in
photos/ folder, and all metadata is saved in the
catalog.csv file. The thumbnails (smaller images that are shown on the map, in other words icons) are created with Wand library (http://docs.wand-py.org/en/0.5.7/) and are saved in
Titlecolumn is generated from the caption. It is assumed that a first sentence of the caption contains the school name and/or location (eg
Old Center School, Burlington).
- Based on that assumption,
Geocodedcolumn contains geocoded coordinates of what Google API thinks is an appropriate location for that school name and location.
Longitudecolumns are derived from the
- Created duplicate of
catalog-refined.csvto research school site addresses, and manually improve precision of geographic coordinate data without overwriting python download. Map pulls image data from the latitude and longitude columns of
- Keep all rows intact to match with original. Omit selected rows (e.g. secondary photos of school interiors, historical signs) from map display by removing data from Lat and Long columns.
- Need help from photographer or others to locate 9 addresses for 9 remaining photos in this Google Sheet
- For future photos, asked photographer to add street address or intersection to Instagram captions to allow easier placement on map.