Leaflet map of HOLC "redlining" security map for Hartford CT area, 1937
set iframe height 600px
Credits and dependencies
- Thanks @ilyankou for styling & opacity slider
- Thanks Samir Gambhir, Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity, Ohio State University, for geo-referencing and digitizing the original map scans.
- Thanks UConn MAGIC (http://magic.lib.uconn.edu) for the original 2012 Google Maps design (http://magic.lib.uconn.edu/otl/doclink_holc.html), which is replaced by this 2016 Leaflet map
- Mapzen leaflet geocoder to search locations https://github.com/mapzen/leaflet-geocoder
- Numeric icon markers by https://github.com/coryasilva/Leaflet.ExtraMarkers with StackOverflow suggestions for modification
- Residential Security Maps (Hartford-West Hartford and East Hartford) and Area Descriptions for Hartford area, Connecticut, 1937. Home Owners’ Loan Corporation, box 64, City Survey Files, Record Group 195: Records of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board, National Archives II, College Park, Maryland.
- For the full appraisal report (PDF), see the sources folder
- For geographic data, see polygon.geojson and points.geojson files above, or sources folder for shapefile (.shp) and summary spreadsheet (.csv) and metadata (.xls)
- See also original 1937 maps, scanned from the National Archives, and georeferenced with MapWarper via NYPL: West Hartford-Hartford (http://mapwarper.net/maps/15096) and East Hartford (http://mapwarper.net/maps/15097)