olivermak.es an archive
Read about my process for building this site.
Not interested in the code? Take a look at the pattern library.
- Build a personal website as an archive for my creative output.
- Self-built: design and implement as much as possible by myself.
- Showcase my work for others.
- Improve at building advanced static sites with Jekyll.
- Focused on content
- Economical, high performance design
- Progressively enhanced
- Flexible in layout and form
- Respectful of users and their devices
- Usable and accessible
- Empathetic in content, design and tone
- Building: Jekyll and npm scripting for optimizing SCSS, JS and SVG assets and speeding up my process
- Archive generation: Jekyll Archives gem
- Hosting: Amazon CloudFront, S3 and imgix for hosting; AWS ACM for TLS (HTTPS) certificate
- Deploying: s3_website, via Travis CI
- Version control: GitHub
- Typography: Adobe Typekit – 300, 400 and 500 weights of the Ratio typeface and system monospace fonts (Menlo or Consolas if available)
- Layout: custom
- Responsive images:
srcset, processed and optimized with imgix
- Maps: Mapbox
- No templates, frameworks or boilerplate
- Jekyll >3.2
- Jekyll Archives
- Jekyll Sitemap Generator
- npm for dependencies and building
- node-sass (LibSass)
Testing and deploying
All writing and photography on the site is my original work and is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 (CC BY-NC) except where explicitly noted. All design and code is licensed under the MIT license, but is available for fair use on GitHub. Almost everything in the
images folders is CC BY-NC and the most of the rest of the repository is under copyright, where applicable.