This repository provides the
build tool to build binary packages in a
a safe and reproducible way. It can be used standalone or within the
Open Build Service (OBS).
Latest packages for
obs-build are available from
Supported build environments
Secure but with limited reproducibility:
Secure and with full reproducibility:
- ZVM (S390)
In addition there is currently experimental support for
- PVM (PowerPC)
- Amazon EC2
For hardware emulation there are
- qemu which runs a QEMU system emulator inside of KVM. This can be considered also secure and reproducible.
- The "emulator" VM can be used to run builds using any other emulator via a wrapper script.
- A QEMU user land emulation is also possible. This would give higher speed, but requires a preparation inside of the base distribution for this mode.
Supported build formats
Major distribution package formats
- spec to rpm eg SUSE, Fedora, RedHat, CentOS, Mandriva
- dsc to deb eg Debian, Ubuntu
- PKGBUILD to pkg eg Arch Linux
- Dockerfile Docker container via docker or podman tooling)
- kiwi appliances This include a long list of formats supported by the kiwi tool. From live USB stick images, network deployment images, VM images to docker containers https://documentation.suse.com/kiwi/9/html/kiwi/building-types.html
- SUSE Product SUSE product media builds
- SimpleImage chroot tar ball based on rpm spec file syntax
- Debian Livebuild
- Preinstallimages for speeding up builds esp. inside of OBS
Desktop Image formats
Special modes and formats:
- debbuild building debian debs our of rpm spec file
- debbootstrap debian builds using debootstrap as engine
- mock rpm spec file build using mock as engine
- collax debian package variation
- fissile docker images based on BOSH dev releases
- helm helm charts
Use the --help option for more information.