OpenEmu is an open source project to bring game emulation to OS X as a first class citizen, leveraging modern OS X technologies such as Cocoa, Core Animation and Quartz, and 3rd party libraries like Sparkle for auto-updating. OpenEmu is based on a modular architecture, allowing for game-engine plugins, this means OpenEmu can support a host of different emulation engines and back-ends while retaining a familiar OS X native front-end.
Currently OpenEmu can load the following game engines as plugins:
- CrabEmu - adds support for Sega Master System, Game Gear, SG - 1000
- Gambatte - adds support for Game Boy and Game Boy Color
- Genesis Plus - adds support for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
- NeoPop - adds support for Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Color
- Nestopia - adds support for NES/Famicom
- FCEU - adds support for NES/Famicom
- SNES9x - adds support for SNES and Super Famicom
- BSNES - adds support for SNES and Super Famicom
- Visualboy Advance - adds support for Game Boy Advance
OpenEmu also supports high quality scaling with Open GL, multi-threaded video and audio playback as well as individual features and preferences per game engine, such as NTSC video signal emulation for the Nestopia core.
- OS X 10.7
- Core 2 Duo Processor
- GMA X3100 Graphics