- linode.openhatch.org is the main OpenHatch box, which runs the website.
- linode2.openhatch.org is the secondary server for OpenHatch. It hosts Nagios!
- vm3.openhatch.org is a third server, hosted at GPLHost, that runs the Jenkins continuous integration server.
- The Nagios configuration is owned by a user called nagios on linode2.openhatch.org.
We use ssh keys for login.
If you want SSH access to that account, file a bug requesting it, and attach an SSH key. You should hear back within 2 days; if you don't hear back by then, try to find paulproteus or jesstess on IRC.
Then you can do:
You'll know it's working if you are logged in. If you see a "Password:" prompt, then it is not working.
- Nagios notifications go to email@example.com. Anyone can subscribe to this list or read its archives.
In brief, here's what you need to know:
Edit files in ~nagios/
Once you know what changes you want to make, create a local branch with those changes:
git checkout -b my_changes
As you make changes, make meaningful commits. Also, tell "git commit" to use your identity:
git commit --author="Some Body <firstname.lastname@example.org>"
After you have made the changes, ask someone to review them and merge the changes to master.
Rationale: If you stick to the above process, it is fairly easy to roll back to the "master" branch of the Nagios configuration.
History: We came up with this process during issue332.
Viewing the web interface, and handling the daemon
On linode2, ~nagios/secrets/ contains the mailman and Nagios web interface passwords.
View the Nagios web interface at http://linode2.openhatch.org/nagios3/
To restart the Nagios daemon, run
sudo /etc/init.d/nagios3 restart
In case of emergency
- See :doc:`/internals/emergency_operations`. People with ssh keys set up for the Linode Shell (Lish) can reboot the box and have other limited emergency capabilities.
- Send Nagios notifications to IRC (#openhatch-auto?)?
- Make the Nagios web interface world-viewable.
- Version the monitoring configurations.
- Send SMS alerts to people who want them.
- Add historical trending (Munin)?