The Attachments module brings to the OpenMRS Reference Application a central place to view & manage file attachments.
Additionally it encompasses files uploaded elsewhere within OpenMRS as long as they are saved as complex obs.
A central place for attachments management
In a nutshell Attachments is a 'complex obs management module' ready to be extended to further content types and concept complex coded obs. It starts as a file viewing gallery underneath a file upload widget.
Consistent dashboards integration
Attachments both integrates on the Clinician Facing Patient Dashboard and on the Visits & Encounters Patient Dashboard.
Content is handled based on its MIME type
For example images are subject to a custom implementation that saves them alongside their thumbnails for faster gallery loading. Moreover a modal viewing applies for most
image/* content types:
New UI behaviours and backend handlers can be added for further content types.
You are a developer and you want to contribute? Just get in touch.
Not-yet-handled content types
When a content type is not yet provided a bespoke implementation, it can still be accessed generically as on a 'drive':
How to try it out?
Build the master branch and install the built OMOD to your instance running the OpenMRS Reference Application:
git clone https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-module-attachments/tree/master cd openmrs-module-attachments mvn clean install
Runtime requirements & compatibility
- Core 1.10.5 to Platform 2.0.0 and beyond
- Reference Application distribution 2.3+
- Core Apps module fixed with RA-1155
RA-1155 brings in the thumbnails on the Visits & Encounters Patient Dashboard.
Get in touch if this is a blocker and that you cannot obtain a compatible version of Core Apps.
- Google Chrome 51+
Get in touch
Find us on OpenMRS Talk: sign up, start a conversation and ping us with the mentions starting with @mks.. in your message.
- Allows to add documents to closed visits.
- Reorients images based on their EXIF metadata.
- Cannot purge documents with missing underlying complex data file (see TRUNK-5077). This requires Core 1.10.5, 1.11.8, 1.12.1 or 2.0.5 at runtime.
- Upload fails for portrait images with some EXIF metadata.
- Thumbnails are not reloaded when clicking on 'show/hide details' multiple times on the patient dashboard.
- Date/time stamps use incorrect locale on the patient dashboard.
- Cross Core/Platform compatibility from 10.10.2 to 2.0.0.
- Ensure unique naming of uploaded files because of TRUNK-5093.
- Cannot delete attachment after editing the caption (without the need to reload the page.)
- Supports specific implementations for image and PDF files.
- Supports generic support for all other MIME types.
- Integrates with the Reference Application clinician facing dashboard.
- Integrates with the Reference Application patient Dashboard.
- Allows to use webcam to capture images on desktop computers.