West Oakland Air Quality is a project of OpenOakland, a nonprofit that bridges technology and community for a thriving and equitable Oakland. The WOAQ team is building a cloud-based tool for managing block-by-block air quality data collected by volunteer citizen scientists. WOAQ supports the nonprofit West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project (WOEIP), who started collecting this data more than a decade ago. WOEIP is a resident led, community-based environmental justice organization dedicated to achieving healthy homes, healthy jobs and healthy neighborhoods for all who live, work, learn and play in West Oakland, California.
See the Project Overview doc for details about our partner, project history, and more info about air quality issues in West Oakland.
- Django (Python 3.0 framework)
- MySQL (database)
- Zurb Foundation 6 (front-end framework)
- Docker (optional, for running locally)
How To contribute
We welcome new contributors and there are several ways you can do so. If you decide to join us, we ask that you agree to adhere to the OpenOakland Code of Conduct and the 17 Principles of Environmental Justice.
- Add a comment to any open issue. Or;
- Clone the repo, run the site locally, create a branch, and get to work on any open issue labelled MVP and Ready. See contributing.md for full details.
Design & research options
We use Trello for project management:
- Review and add a comment to any light blue “Design & Research” card currently sitting in the In QA column. Or;
- Grab any card tagged with the light blue “Design & Research” label in the Ready to Work On column and get started.
Data science/analysis options
We use Trello to document and discuss data decisions:
- Review and add a comment to any yellow “Data Q” card currently sitting in the Qs About Data Analysis column. Or;
- Add a new yellow “Data Q” card to the Qs About Data Analysis column for any new questions you think of that might be important to answer.