Shareabouts is an online mapping tool to gather crowdsourced public input in a social and engaging process. Using Shareabouts, people can drop a pin on a map to provide ideas, suggestions, and comments for planning and design issues. And as a mobile-friendly application, Shareabouts makes it easy to add input on the go.
Read more about Shareabouts and find links to recent sites on the OpenPlans website.
- Add New Places
- Adding places is easy. The simple interface lets users quickly drop pins on the map with descriptions and other useful information.
- Comment on Places
- Engage your audience in meaningful conversation. Users can leave [rich media] comments on places.
- Explore Places and Comments
- The map allows users to find places and comments in their areas of interest.
- Show Support
- Need to know which places are most popular? Users can vote for their favorite places to show their support.
- Social Sharing
- Harness the power of viral marketing. Users engage their social network when they share places on Twitter and Facebook.
- Activity Feed
- See a list of recently submitted places, comments, and support.
- Place Types
- Collect information about different types of places. Data filtering by place type.
- Responsive Design
- We've designed Shareabouts to work great and look beautiful on all screen sizes—desktop, mobile, and touch screens!
- Configurable Surveys
- Want to collect specific information? Our flexible data storage allows you to create your own surveys. Crowdsource more than just comments.
- Custom Map Layers
- Overlay pertinent geographic data. Applying your custom style rules, the Shareabouts map can pull in your GeoJson URLs as additional map layers.
- Do your users speak various languages? Shareabouts is internationalizable. It's easy to customize the user interface with locale-specific translations.
All of our documentation is is our
doc directory. Use it to learn more about:
- the architecture
- local setup
- testing the source
- interface configuration
- custom themes
- how to deploy
- upgrading from an older version
Where is Sharabouts going? Check our roadmap for details of possble future features we've identified.
We strongly welcome your feature suggestions. Create an issue on this GitHub repo, and help us with prioritizing by commenting on the features you'd like to see.
If you have questions for the development team,
- the developer discussion list is a good starting point for troubleshooting or questions
- you'll find the Shareabouts team in #shareabouts on irc.freenode.net.
- hit us up on Twitter @Shareabouts
You can always contact OpenPlans directly via our website.
In the spirit of free software, everyone is encouraged to help improve this project.
Here are some ways you can contribute:
- by joining our developers discussion list: http://groups.google.com/group/shareabouts-dev
- by taking a look at our pipeline in the public tracker: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/398973
- by using alpha, beta, and prerelease versions
- by reporting bugs
- by suggesting new features
- by writing or editing documentation
- by writing specifications
- by writing code (no patch is too small: fix typos, add comments, clean up inconsistent whitespace)
- by refactoring code
- by resolving issues
- by reviewing patches
Shareabouts is a project of OpenPlans.