Shareabouts is an online mapping tool to gather crowdsourced public input in a social and engaging process. Using Shareabouts, people can drop a pin on a map to provide ideas, suggestions, and comments for planning and design issues. And as a mobile-friendly application, Shareabouts makes it easy to add input on the go.
A short guide to setting up Shareabouts
It's helpful, but not required, to know about the architecture of Shareabouts before starting.
This will deploy a fully-functional Shareabouts map and datastore to your account on Heroku (an easy-to-manage hosting service). Hosting this way will cost $50-100 monthly. Here's the process.
Alternatively, you may want to use a different hosting service and set up the components of Shareabouts manually.
All of our documentation is is our
doc directory. Use it to learn more about:
- the architecture
- local setup
- testing the source
- interface configuration
- custom themes
- deploying with the Heroku button and in other ways
- upgrading from an older version
- getting your data once you have a map running
Questions? Problems? Ideas?
If you encounted a bug, create an issue on this GitHub repo.
In the spirit of free software, everyone is encouraged to help improve this project.
Here are some ways you can contribute:
- by joining our developers discussion list: http://groups.google.com/group/shareabouts-dev
- by taking a look at our pipeline in the public tracker: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/398973
- by using alpha, beta, and prerelease versions
- by reporting bugs
- by suggesting new features
- by writing or editing documentation
- by writing specifications
- by writing code (no patch is too small: fix typos, add comments, clean up inconsistent whitespace)
- by refactoring code
- by resolving issues
- by reviewing patches
Shareabouts is a project of OpenPlans.