Shareabouts is an online mapping tool to gather crowdsourced public input in a social and engaging process. Using Shareabouts, people can drop a pin on a map to provide ideas, suggestions, and comments for planning and design issues. And as a mobile-friendly application, Shareabouts makes it easy to add input on the go.
Read more about Shareabouts and find links to recent sites on the OpenPlans website.
A short guide to setting up Shareabouts
It's helpful, but not required, to know about the architecture of Shareabouts before starting.
This will deploy a fully-functional Shareabouts map and datastore to your account on Heroku (an easy-to-manage hosting service). Hosting this way will cost $50-100 monthly. Here's the process.
Alternatively, you may want to use a different hosting service and set up the components of Shareabouts manually.
All of our documentation is is our
doc directory. Use it to learn more about:
- the architecture
- local setup
- testing the source
- interface configuration
- custom themes
- deploying with the Heroku button and in other ways
- upgrading from an older version
- getting your data once you have a map running
Questions? Problems? Ideas?
The best place to ask questions or get help is community.openplans.org, an open forum on Shareabouts (and some other stuff from OpenPlans). Asking questions there will help everyone else.
If you encounted a bug, create an issue on this GitHub repo.
We have a Trello board to collect feature suggestions, but you might get more eyeballs and responses by posting to the forum first.
In the spirit of free software, everyone is encouraged to help improve this project.
Here are some ways you can contribute:
- by joining our developers discussion list: http://groups.google.com/group/shareabouts-dev
- by taking a look at our pipeline in the public tracker: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/398973
- by using alpha, beta, and prerelease versions
- by reporting bugs
- by suggesting new features
- by writing or editing documentation
- by writing specifications
- by writing code (no patch is too small: fix typos, add comments, clean up inconsistent whitespace)
- by refactoring code
- by resolving issues
- by reviewing patches
Shareabouts is a project of OpenPlans.