OpenPlans Transit Tiles
We want to make beautiful map tiles of transit systems available for developers. We're doing this by making available each of the pieces we use to generate our own transit map tiles using TileMill. We're just getting started so any feedback is appreciated!
I want transit tiles for my map! What do I do?
You can do one of two things:
- Download the tiles for the city you want. Tiles are stored in the MBTiles format and can be served via MapBox.com or your own version of TileStream. The MBTiles are listed below for each city (currently just Chicago).
- Use the assets on this site to customize and generate your own tiles.
Generating your own tiles
We provide all of the pieces that you need to customize and generate your own tiles for select cities. Just follow these steps:
- Step 0. Install TileMill
- Step 1. Clone this repository:
git clone email@example.com:openplans/transit_tiles.git
- Step 2. Choose the city you want and copy the project assets to your TileMill project folder. On a Mac, this is often found at
- Note! We cache the required spatial data on Amazon S3 and point the TileMill project file to it directly. This means that you don't have to download the data yourself. It just comes in automatically!
- Step 3. Open your project in TileMill and make awesome tiles! You can find documentation for using TileMill here.
These are the cities for which transit tiles have been created. Each section includes links to the original (not our cached) spatial data, TileMill project assets, and other references.