OpenRocket is a free, fully featured model rocket simulator that allows you to design and simulate your rockets before actually building and flying them.
The main features include:
- Six-degree-of-freedom flight simulation
- Automatic design optimization
- Realtime simulated altitude, velocity and acceleration display
- Staging and clustering support
- Cross-platform (Java-based)
Read more about it on the OpenRocket Wiki.
OpenRocket maintains an installer for installing the software and Java runtime. You can find the installers on our website.
OpenRocket is an Open Source project licensed under the GNU GPL. This means that the software is free to use for whatever purposes, and the source code is also available for studying and extending.
OpenRocket needs help to become even better. Implementing features, writing documentation and creating example designs are just a few ways of helping. If you are interested in helping make OpenRocket the best rocket simulator out there, please click here for information on how to get involved and read the practicalities of contributing here.
- Sampo Niskanen, main developer
- Doug Pedrick, support for RockSim designs, printing
- Kevin Ruland, Android version
- Bill Kuker, 3D visualization
- Richard Graham, geodetic computations
- Jason Blood, freeform fin set import
- Boris du Reau, internationalization
- Daniel Williams, pod support, maintainer
- Joe Pfeiffer (maintainer)
- Billy Olsen (maintainer)
- Sibo Van Gool (maintainer)
- Neil Weinstock (tester, icons, forum support)
- H. Craig Miller (tester)
- Tripoli France
- Tripoli Spain
- Stefan Lobas / ERIG
- Mauro Biasutti
- Sky Dart Team / Ruslan V. Uss
- Vladimir Beran
- Polish Rocketry Society / Łukasz & Alex Kazanski
- Sibo Van Gool
- Mohamed Amin Elkebsi