Team and repository tags
- Monasca Transform
monasca-transform is a data driven aggregation engine which collects, groups and aggregates existing individual Monasca metrics according to business requirements and publishes new transformed (derived) metrics to the Monasca Kafka queue.
- Since the new transformed metrics are published as any other metric in Monasca, alarms can be set and triggered on the transformed metric.
- Monasca Transform uses Apache Spark to aggregate data. Apache Spark is a highly scalable, fast, in-memory, fault tolerant and parallel data processing framework. All monasca-transform components are implemented in Python and use Spark’s PySpark Python API to interact with Spark.
- Monasca Transform does transformation and aggregation of incoming
metrics in two phases.
- In the first phase spark streaming application is set to retrieve in data from kafka at a configurable stream interval (default stream_inteval is 10 minutes) and write the data aggregated for stream interval to pre_hourly_metrics topic in kafka.
- In the second phase, which is kicked off every hour, all metrics in metrics_pre_hourly topic in Kafka are aggregated again, this time over a larger interval of an hour. These hourly aggregated metrics published to metrics topic in kafka.
Use Cases handled by Monasca Transform
Please refer to Problem Description section on the Monasca/Transform wiki
Please refer to How Monasca Transform Operates section on the Monasca/Transform wiki
Please refer to Architecture and Logical processing data flow sections on the Monasca/Transform wiki
To set up the development environment
Generic aggregation components
Monasca Transform uses a set of generic aggregation components which can be assembled in to an aggregation pipeline.
Please refer to the generic-aggregation-components document for information on list of generic aggregation components available.
Create a new aggregation pipeline example
Generic aggregation components make it easy to build new aggregation pipelines for different Monasca metrics.
This create a new aggregation pipeline example shows how to create pre_transform_specs and transform_specs to create an aggregation pipeline for a new set of Monasca metrics, while leveraging existing set of generic aggregation components.
Original proposal and blueprint
Original proposal: Monasca/Transform-proposal
Blueprint: monasca-transform blueprint