Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Clone this wiki locally
PLEASE ADD TO THIS LIST! We are looking for any free terrain data for anywhere in the world! Please include links. Also PLEASE INCLUDE THE LICENSE IF YOU KNOW IT! If you're not sure, add a link anyway! If it's obviously NOT free data, then don't add it, please.
CGIAR-CSI's post-processed claims to be the "highest quality SRTM dataset available." More info: PROCESSED SRTM DATA VERSION 4.1
DISTRIBUTION Users are prohibited from any commercial, non-free resale, or redistribution without explicit written permission from CIAT. Ushttp://research.bpcrc.osu.edu/GDG/gimpdem.phpers should acknowledge CIAT as the source used in the creation of any reports, publications, new data sets, derived products, or services resulting from the use of this data set. CIAT also request reprints of any publications and notification of any redistributing efforts. For commercial access to the data, send requests to Andy Jarvis (email@example.com). Citations should be made as follows: Jarvis A., H.I. Reuter, A. Nelson, E. Guevara, 2008, Hole-filled seamless SRTM data V4, International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), available from http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/.
NASA global 2014/15 update: http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/
Since September 2015 the whole SRTM data is available with a resolution of 30 meters worldwide and void-filled. Direct download: http://e4ftl01.cr.usgs.gov/SRTM/SRTMGL1.003/2000.02.11/
SRTM30 plus / SRTM15 plus
Note: this is confusing, as here SRTM30 means 30 seconds = 1 km. In the NASA article above, they are in the process of releasing a "SRTM Plus" 30 this year, which means 30 meters.
Global combined topography/bathymetry data set in 30 second / 15 second resolution, combining the following data sources:
- USGS SRTM30
- Smith and Sandwell 1 minute grid
- LDEO Ridge Multibeam Synthesis Project
- JAMSTEC Data Site for Research Cruises
- NGDC Coastal Relief Model
- International Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans
Global combined topography/bathymetry data set based on SRTM30, manually edited by Tom Patterson of the US National Park Service to remove artifacts and balance the different levels of details. Specifically for use in cartography.
Global coverage cleaned and combined from multiple sources, similar to what OpenTerrain is trying to do: http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html
A 90m worldwide dataset derived from the CGIAR and ASTER datasets. Available from http://www.earthenv.org/DEM.html
"...a compilation dataset constructed via rigorous techniques by which ASTER GDEM2 and CGIAR-CSI v4.1 products were fused into a quality-enhanced, consistent grid of elevation estimates that spans ∼91% of the globe. EarthEnv-DEM90 was assembled using methods for seamlessly merging input datasets, thoroughly filling voids, and smoothing data irregularities (e.g. those caused by DEM noise) from the approximated surface."
Research paper describing the creation methods: EarthEnv-DEM90: A nearly-global, void-free, multi-scale smoothed, 90m digital elevation model from fused ASTER and SRTM data
A global search tool visualising which countries are covered by which datasets: http://www.imagico.de/map/demsearch.php
- http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/ has links to more DEM and LIDAR data sources
- GEBCO bathymetry
- There's a list of datasets on laszip.org
- National LiDAR Datasets Wikipedia Page
North & South America
Interagency Elevation Inventory - Doesn't host data but tells you who does. A lot of these datasets are located in a GIS office somewhere and if you call and ask. Some just ask for a hard drive and return shipping, others charge between $50 - $500, some charge more, and some charge a ridiculous amount.
Minnesota - LiDAR Elevation Data for Minnesota has LiDAR data for most of Minnesota, including the Twin Cities.
New York City - One-foot DEM derived from LiDAR NYC DEM
[Nationwide LiDAR Dataset Wikipedia Page] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lidar_Dataset_(United_States)) - Links to web portals.
NOAA Digital Coast - Hosts NOAA and FEMA LiDAR in addition to assorted bathymetric datasets.
Pennsylvania - PAMAP Lidar Elevation Data
Washington - Puget Sound LiDAR Consortium has lots of LiDAR data for Western WA. They do require an account (free registration) to download the data.
National Map - In the process of updating elevation data to higher res where available.
OpenTopography - Primarily hosts small scientific LiDAR collects but offers on-demand DEM processing and offers direct FTP access for bulk downloads if you ask.
USGS EROS maintains a list of large elevation datasets produced by government entities.
Various US elevation datasets including the 30m, 10m and 3m NED, and some regional IFSAR derived elevation datasets.
Somewhat outdated list of sources
[Alberta (5m)] (http://www.altalis.com/products/terrain/dem.html)
Haiti: 2010 LiDAR data, Point Density: 3.40 pts/m2. [Info] (http://opentopo.sdsc.edu/gridsphere/gridsphere?gs_action=datasetMetadata&cid=geonlidarframeportlet&otCollectionID=OT.072010.32618.1) and [data] (http://waspftp.cis.rit.edu/). public domain: "The Haiti campaign was funded by the World Bank and the Global Facility for Disaster Recovery and Recovery (GFDRR) and have made all data available in the public domain."
- Berlin (DTM 2m) > ATKIS® DGM (2m-Rasterweite), custom open license (attribution)
- Hamburg (DTM 1m), Data licence Germany – attribution – version 2.0
- Rheinland-Pfalz (DTM 25m) > "Digitales Geländemodell 25 (DGM25)", Data licence Germany – attribution – version 2.0
- Thüringen - 25m
- Nordrhein-Westfalen: DTM 1m or Lidar points, License: Datenlizenz Deutschland Namensnennung 2.0
- Greenland (30m), Data License: "...acknowledge the BPRC Glacier Dynamics Research Group, Ohio State University by name in presentations and publications arising from use of these data."
- Denmark DTM (10m)
- Denmark DTM (1,6m)
- Denmark DTM (0,4m)
- Denmark DSM (1,6m)
- Denmark DSM (0,4m)
- Danish Geodata Agency - LICENSE - all danish DEMs above (in danish)
- Want FTP access to DEMs above? - contact @neogeografen
- Overall download site, for FTP options
- 10m Full Country
- 2m Most of the Country
- Many sources of terrain resolution. inc. Lidar data of terrain and forestry height
- National Geoportal - 20m DTM WCS Service - Download
- Autonomous Province Bolzano/Bozen, South Tyrol - 2.5m DTM cc-by 3.0
- Regione Siciliana, Sicilia - 2m DTM CC BY-SA 3.0 IT
- Regione Piemonte 10m
- Regione Süd-Tirol 5m
- Regione Süd-Tirol 10m
- Digital Terrain Model and Digital Surface Model (1m). Correspondence: "In Slovenija we do not have a legislation for licensing access and usage of data. But you can use this data as a open data. It is free of charge to use modify and re-use. Please refer to source: Ministry of the environment and spatial planning, Slovenian environment agency."
- Digital Elevation Model (5m). Since 18th December 2016 all data from National Geographic Institute of Spain (IGN) are Open Data. More info at: official announcement in Spanish (BOE-A-2015-14129).
- Switzerland DTM 200m
- Kanton Zürich via @GISUster
- Kanton Zürich LIDAR links via @GISUster
- Kanton Zürich DTM via @GISUster
- Kanton Zürich DOM via @GISUster
- UK OS Terrain (50m) via @charley_glynn
- England DTM/DSM (50cm, 1m, 2m), 72% coverage, UK Open Government Licence (attribution), Environment Agency LIDAR data (blog)
- Wales DTM/DSM (25cm, 50cm, 1m and 2m), 70% coverage, UK Open Government Licence
- Sweden (50m), CC BY, version 4.0
- The Netherlands
- Netherlands (AHN2, variety of forms)
- Netherlands (AHN2, las zip, uitgefilterd)
- Netherlands (AHN2, las zip, gefilterd)
- Netherlands (AHN2, variety of forms)
- Digital Elevation Model (DEM) of Australia derived from LiDAR 5 Metre Grid: CC-BY-4.0, 245000 km² of data, dataset covers "Australia's populated coastal zone; floodplain surveys within the Murray Darling Basin, and individual surveys of major and minor population centres"
- 1 second SRTM Digital Elevation Model of Australia
- + More DEM/SRTM/derived webservices available with CC-BY-3.0 licence
- Australia sets from data.gov.au via @AllanBarger
- https://data.qld.gov.au/ via @AllanBarger
- http://data.nsw.gov.au/ via @AllanBarger
- https://www.data.vic.gov.au/ via @AllanBarger
- http://data.act.gov.au/ via @AllanBarger
- https://www2.landgate.wa.gov.au/web/guest/about-slip via @AllanBarger
- Tasmanian data can be discovered at this link.
- National Elevation Data Framework Portal (NEDF, when it works...)
- Bedmap2 - Ice thickness and subglacial topographic model of Antarctic
- CryoSat Antarctica DEM 1.2 (2km)
- ArcticDEM (2m/5m)
Here's a list of more landcover sources:
GlobalLandCover.com provides 30m land cover data, published by the Chinese government. license
Measured and estimated seafloor topography from sonar data and satellite altimetry. Licensed for "educational, research and non-profit purposes", but needs permission for commercial use.
GEBCO gridded bathymetry data global seafloor data with 30 arc-second resolution.
Multibeam sonar data from NGDC (National Geophysical Data Center). Original soundings, worldwide, need processing.
Bathymetry of Lake Baikal (contour lines) from Helmholtz Centre Potsdam. Licensed CC-BY.
Topobathymetric Elevation Model of San Francisco Bay Area from USGS. 2-meter resolution.