Per the Thread 1.2.0 Specification, a Thread Commissioner connects to and manages a Thread network. A Thread network requires a Commissioner to commission new Joiner devices. A Thread Commissioner minimally supports the following functions:
- Connecting to a Thread network through a Thread Border Agent
- Steering and commissioning new devices
- Get/set Thread network datasets
OpenThread's implementation of a Thread Commissioner is called OpenThread Commissioner (OT Commissioner).
OT Commissioner features include:
- Implements both the Thread 1.1 and 1.2 Commissioner (with Commercial Extension)
- Cross-platform (Linux, Mac OS, Android) Commissioner library
- Interactive Commissioner CLI Tool (Linux, Mac OS)
More information about Thread can be found at threadgroup.org. Thread is a registered trademark of the Thread Group, Inc.
To learn more about OpenThread, visit openthread.io.
We would love for you to contribute to OpenThread and help make it even better than it is today! See our Contributing Guidelines for more information.
OT Commissioner follows the Semantic Versioning guidelines for release cycle transparency and to maintain backwards compatibility. OpenThread's versioning is independent of the Thread protocol specification version but will clearly indicate which version of the specification it currently supports.
Please only use the OpenThread name and marks when accurately referencing this software distribution. Do not use the marks in a way that suggests you are endorsed by or otherwise affiliated with Nest, Google, or The Thread Group.