Discover, collect and play music from Youtube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Deezer and other streaming platforms.
- an independent music curation service freely available at openwhyd.org;
- a community of music lovers who enjoy taking their time to find the best tracks and videos for their collection;
- a collaborative / open-source project maintained by passionate volunteers. You too can contribute!
Music libraries like Spotify and Apple Music make it easy to play and collect music that is released officially by music labels.
Openwhyd, on the other hand, allows music lovers to discover, play and collect any musical gem that is available on the most popular streaming platforms, including:
- music videos, bootlegs and specific live performances,
- fresh tracks from new and/or local artists,
- DJ sets and rare remixes,
- or any song that can be found and streamed online.
- Playlists: made of tracks from various sources: Youtube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Deezer...
- Button: Add a track from any web page, in a few clicks, using our Google Chrome extension and bookmarklet
- Radio: Subscribe to music curators based on your musical taste, and listen to their latest discoveries
- Fame: Get a following by creating awesome playlists, and being featured in the "Hot Tracks" ranking
- Search: Add descriptions to your track, to make them easier to find when you need them
- Integration: Embed your playlists on your blog or website, so your visitors can listen to it directly.
In order to attract users and contributors, Adrien Joly regularly promotes the project and helps developers who want to get involved. Here is a list of talks he gave to present Openwhyd:
- Le développement durable appliqué au code, de Whyd à Openwhyd (Nov 15, 2018, CTO Pizza Live)
- Openwhyd, a startup product given to its community of users (Oct 16, 2018, GitHub Universe Meetup @ Algolia)
- Présentation d'Openwhyd, app web de curation musicale ouverte aux contributeurs (Oct 25, 2017, Meetup Node.js Paris)
Since 2016, Adrien Joly has been taking care of Openwhyd's domain name, infrastructure and data on his spare time.
The project is open to contributions. Check out our Support Openwhyd section for more info. Beginners are welcome too!
Setup and usage
You just need Docker and
git installed on your computer:
$ git clone https://github.com/openwhyd/openwhyd.git $ cd openwhyd $ docker-compose up $ open localhost:8080
More info about Setup and Usage: INSTALL.md.
If you want to run it directly with
docker-compose, checkout Openwhyd on Docker Hub.
If you want to deploy Openwhyd to a server, you can follow our guide: How to deploy on DigitalOcean.
There are several ways you can help Openwhyd!
If you're a developer, you can contribute to our current challenges. (beginners are welcome too!)
If you have other skills you'd like to contribute to Openwhyd, come say hi!
Thank you in advance for your kindness!
These are the wonderful people whose time and sweat have made Openwhyd's heart beat since 2012!
This project follows the all-contributors specification. Contributions of any kind welcome!
Support us with a monthly donation and help us keep Openwhyd alive. [Become a backer]
Become a sponsor and get your logo on our README on Github with a link to your site. [Become a sponsor]