To download OrbisGIS, just consult the official website here.
OrbisGIS is a standalone application. It means that, if you want (see Ubuntu PPA repository), no installation is needed. In addition, it also means that you can play with OrbisGIS without any "administrator" rule !
Once the orbisgis-bin.zip file downloaded, just unzip the file.
In this folder, you can just focus on:
- orbisgis.sh : the Linux and iOS launcher,
- orbisgis_safemode.sh : the same, but in "safemode",
- orbigis_windows.bat : the Windows launcher,
- orbigis_windows.bat : ... in "safemode",
- orbisgis.jar : the application itself.
Note that "Safemode" is only useful when OrbisGIS does not start successfully. Running this file will uninstall all plugins and former OrbisGIS modules.
To launch OrbisGIS, you have the choice between:
- a double-click on the .jar file,
- for Windows, double-click on the .bat file,
- for Linux and iOS, double-click on the .sh file.
- "execution rights" are sometimes needed.
- If you want to specify the jvm memory size, please consult this page on the OrbisGIS wiki.
Run the .sh file
To run the .sh file (in Linux and iOS) in command line, just follow these two steps:
- open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T), then go in the unzipped folder (using the command cd /your_url)
- run the file with the following command
Note: You must have the rights to run this file. To do this, you can use the following command:
chmod ug+x ./orbisgis.sh
... and your file will be executable.
Ubuntu PPA repository
If you are using Ubuntu (or a Debian like distribution) you also have the possibily to connect to our PPA repository, available here : https://launchpad.net/~orbisgis/+archive/ubuntu/orbisgis-unstable
To add this repository and to install OrbisGIS (snapshot version), just execute the following command lines:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:orbisgis/orbisgis-unstable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install orbisgis
Once done, you can launch OrbisGIS thanks to the shortcut in the "Applications/Education" menu
Or enter the following command in the terminal:
Note that you could also launch OrbisGIS in safemode with this command: