A curated list of space-related code, APIs, data, and other resources.
Table of Contents
- AstroBin API - AstroBin is an image hosting website specifically targeted to astrophotographers. Its API offers a basic set of RESTful endpoints. Currently the API is read-only, and allows you to get data about images, and perform basic searches.
- astrometry.net - "If you have astronomical imaging of the sky with celestial coordinates you do not know—or do not trust—then Astrometry.net is for you. Input an image and we'll give you back astrometric calibration meta-data, plus lists of known objects falling inside the field of view."
- Open Astronomy Catalog API - The Open Astronomy Catalog API (OACAPI) offers a lightweight, simple way to access data available via the Open Astronomy Catalogs (e.g. the Open Supernova, Tidal Disruption, Kilonova, and Fast Stars Catalogs).
- SpaceXDB-Api - SpaceXDB is a website containing SpaceX launch information and telemetry.
- VIRGO - An open-source Spectrometer for Radio Astronomy
- 100,000 Stars - 100,000 Stars is an interactive visualization of the stellar neighborhood showing the location of 119,617 nearby stars.
- Celestia - Free real-time 3D visualization of space. (See also Celestia Motherlode for many add-ons.)
- Harmony of the Spheres - Newtonian gravity and space simulator that runs in your browser
- KStars - KStars is free, open source, cross-platform astronomy software. It provides many features, including a graphical simulation of the night sky, observing planner, a sky calendar tool, an FOV editor, and more.
- NASA Eyes - Immersible apps to explore the Earth and solar system
- Orbiter 2016 - Open source spaceflight simulator with many addons for historical missions. Installation Instructions.
- Orb Viewer - Visualization of all the asteroids in the MPC database.
- Orbit Simulator - A powerful numerical integration tool. "By performing n-body simulations, you can study the orbits of planets, moons, asteroids, or any object in the universe."
- SpaceEngine : Realistic universe simulator and planetarium. Old versions are free.
- Stellarium - Open source planetarium for your computer
SDKs & Software Development Tools
- ASCL.net - A free online registry for source code of interest to astronomers and astrophysicists
- AstroKit - A web-based toolset for performing lightcurve photometry
- astrometry.net - Code and an API for generating astrometric calibration meta-data
- AstroPy - Collection of software packages written in Python and designed for use in astronomy
- Rebound - A multi-purpose N-body integrator
- Skyfield - Skyfield computes positions for the stars, planets, and satellites in orbit around the Earth.
- NITARP - NITARP, the NASA/IPAC Teacher Archive Research Program, gets teachers & students involved in authentic astronomical research.
- RDFvocab - A collection of linked data ontologies (semantically linked representations) that describe astronomical and space engineering concepts. Can be used to link popular data sets like DBPedia.
- Resources and references on the topic of space exploration - StackExchange list of books, manuals, courses, and more.
Space Hackathons and Challenges
- ActInSpace - A hackathon about space app, every even year, launched by the french CNES.
- Space Apps Challenge - NASA-led initiative organized in collaboration with Booz Allen Hamilton, Mindgrub and SecondMuse.
- Open Source Satellite - Ecosystem for sharing ideas and creating a "highly capable, flexible and affordable open source microsatellite platform." Founded by "a team of international space experts" dedicated to open source.
- Canadian Astronomy Data Centre - CADC is a Science Platform for data-intensive astronomy with many astronomy data products.
- ESO Science Archive Facility
- Gaia Data Releases
- NASA Space Science Data Coordinated Archive
- SIMBAD Astronomical Database - The purpose of Simbad is to provide information on astronomical objects of interest which have been studied in scientific articles.
- The Sloan Digital Sky Survey - Three-dimensional maps of the Universe
- api.nasa.gov - NASA's API portal
- Data.gov - NASA - The US Federal government's open data portal page for NASA data sets. If you search by Bureaus, Organizations, or Publishers, you'll find additional space-related data sets from NASA/GSFC, NOAA, the Space Science Technology Directorate, selected universities, and more.
- data.nasa.gov - Continually growing catalog of publicly available NASA datasets, APIs, visualizations, and more
- images.nasa.gov - Search NASA's informational image and video archive
- MAST - A NASA-funded site that provides astronomical data archives focused on scientific data sets in the optical, ultraviolet, and near-IR.
- Small Satellite Information Search - NASA's federated search portal for small spacecraft parts, technologies and conference proceedings.
Data Wrangling Tools
- orbital-cotwo-web - A data processing pipeline and web server that can dump HDF5 files from NASA's Orbital Carbon Observatory 2 mission into an SQL database.
- Bhuvan - ISRO's Geoportal
- Copernicus Open Access Hub - The Copernicus Open Access Hub provides complete, free and open access to Sentinel-1, Sentinel-2, Sentinel-3 and Sentinel-5P user products.
- Earth on AWS
- earthdata.nasa.gov - Portal to NASA's Earth observation data
- EOS Land Viewer - A free GIS database of the most widely used satellite images.
- ESA's Earth Online
- ESA's GEOSS Portal - Query for Earth imagery across a suite of space systems
- Global Forest Watch Open Data Portal - Identify areas of tree cover loss and gain
- Google Earth
- Google's Earth Engine - Earth Engine's public data archive includes more than forty years of historical imagery and scientific datasets, updated and expanded daily.
- High Definition Earth-Viewing System (HDEV) - Realtime stream of Earth from the ISS
- Landsat data sources
- Maxar Open Data Program - Maxar releases limited open data during major crisis events.
- NASA Land-Cover and Land-Use Change (LCLUC) Program
- National Environmental Satellite Data and Information Service - Explore NOAA satellite maps and imagery in 2D and 3D.
- NOAA Data Access Viewer
- Office for Coastal Management's Digital Coast
- Planet API - Programmatic support for searching, clipping, ordering, and viewing satellite imagery on a map. Currently offers a free plan with access to low-resolution imagery worldwide.
- Remotepixel - A collection of tools, including the RemotePixel Viewer, Satellite Search tool, and Disasterwatch, for exploring and downloading satellite imagery, maintained by one hardworking volunteer.
- Sentinelhub - ESA's EO Browser and Sentinel Playground offer a complete archive of Sentinel-1, Sentinel-2, Sentinel-3, Sentinel-5P, ESA's archive of Landsat 5, 7 and 8, global coverage of Landsat 8, Envisat Meris, MODIS, Proba-V and GIBS products in one place.
- USGS EarthExplorer - A tool that provides users the ability to query, search, and retrieve satellite images, aerial photographs, and cartographic products from several sources
- Visible Earth - A catalog of NASA images and animations of our home planet
- Worldview - A NASA app that provides the capability to interactively browse over 800 global, full-resolution satellite imagery layers and then download the underlying data
- Yale's Center for Earth Observation - A directory of imagry and data sources.
- Kepler Confirmed Planets Information
- NASA Exoplanet Archive
- Open Exoplanet Catalogue - an open source database of all discovered extrasolar planets
- The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia
- Launch Library 2 - A free to use API with rocket launches, astronauts, events, etc. that application developers can use. It is the successor of the original Launch Library and Space Launch Now APIs. As it is maintained by The Space Devs, news and support are provided on their Discord server.
- Space Launch Report - Website listing launchers and their specs as well as launch reports dating back decades
- Unofficial SpaceX REST API - Open Source REST API for rocket, core, capsule, pad, and launch data
- Launch Dashboard API - Open Source REST API for rocket launch telemetry
Solar System Data
- Asterank - Asterank is a scientific and economic database of over 600,000 asteroids.
- astorbDB - A database of orbital elements and observed physical properties (when available) for all known minor planets in the Solar System.
- IAU Minor Planet Center - Clearing house for observations of asteroids and other smaller solar system bodies
- LROC QuickMap - Quality 2D and 3D maps of the moon
- NASA's Planetary Data System - A long-term archive of digital data products returned from NASA's planetary missions
- NASA's Solar System Treks - Access surface elevation profiles, sun angles, 3D print files, and VR experiences in our solar system
- Celestrak - Celestrak is the world's oldest source for orbital element sets (and related software and educational materials).
- JPL's HORIZONS - Generate ephemerides for solar-system bodies
- Space Physics Data Facility - Web-based services for survey and high resolution data and trajectories
- Stuff In Space - Stuff in Space is a realtime 3D map of objects in Earth orbit, visualized using WebGL. Updates daily.
- Spaceflight News API - A free to use API with space-related news articles that application developers can use. As it is maintained by The Space Devs, news and support are provided on their Discord server.
- European Space Agency GitHub Repository
- European Space Software Repository
- Hack-A-Sat Resource Library has links, videos, and other resources about aerospace security.
- Hackaday.io Satellite Projects
- Public Domain Aeronautical Software
- software.nasa.gov and code.nasa.gov
- FoxTelem - FoxTelem is used by a network of ground stations to retrieve the telemetry and experiment data from the Fox Satellites.
- Open Satellite Project - Ongoing effort to develop open-source software for the receipt and decoding of satellite data using software-defined radio (SDR) hardware
- Phase 4 Ground - Open source digital broadband satellite and terrestrial radio systems, part of Open Research Institute
- SatNOGS - A global network of satellite ground stations, designed as an open source participatory project
- COSMOS - Open source mission control and satellite test & development framework
- Open MCT - Ames's next-generation mission control framework for visualization of data on desktop and mobile devices.
- Yamcs - Open source mission control framework (works also as backend for OpenMCT).
- Delta V calculator for LEO/MEO/GEO injection
- Flight Club - Orbital launch simulator and trajectory visualisation software
- FreeFlyer - A software application for space mission design, analysis, and operations.
- GMAT - The General Mission Analysis Tool (GMAT) is a space trajectory optimization and mission analysis system (NASA)
- NASA Ames Research Center Trajectory Browser - A tool to find spacecraft trajectories to planets and small-bodies
- nyx - Nyx is a high fidelity astrodynamics toolkit for mission design and orbit determination written in Rust, validated against GMAT.
- Open Space Toolkit - Collection of versatile software libraries for space engineering applications (e.g., environment modeling, orbit and access computation).
- poliastro - Poliastro is an open source pure Python package dedicated to problems arising in Astrodynamics and Orbital Mechanics. Focuses on interplanetary design.
- smd - A SPICE-enhanced continuous thrust interplanetary mission propagator and visualizer.
- SPICE - Ephemerides library used by JPL for their missions. SpiceyPy is a Python wrapper.
- SpOCK - The Spacecraft Orbital Computations Kit is an open source tool for spacecraft mission analysis and simulation.
- Systems Tool Kit (STK) - Simulate missions and create reports, graphs, and 3D animations (paid). From Analytical Graphics, Inc.
- 42 - Attitude and trajectory simulation of Spacecraft (NASA)
- Basilisk - C/C++ astrodynamics and attitude control simulation (includes Python scripting).
- Gazebo - Robotics simulator often used for planetary rovers
- NOS3 - NASA Operational Simulator for Small Satellites
- Trick - End-to-end physics simulation package, useful for simulating missions (but requires orbital dynamics models). C, C++, with Python (SWIG) interface.
- FossaSat-1 - Hardware designs and software for the FossaSat-1 Pocketqube satellite (GitHub)
- NASA Outgassing Db - A dataset of materials intended for spacecraft use from the Goddard Space Flight Center, the Stanford Research Institute, and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
- Oresat - An open source cubesat developed at Oregon Small Satellite Project.
- ProjectInertia - An open source hardware platform to achieve a FRAM-based radiation-tolerant microcontroller for space application. The firmware is being developed in Rust.
- PyCubed - An Open-Source, Radiation-Tested CubeSat Framework Programmable Entirely in Python.
- Qubik - Open source software and hardware pocketqube satellite
- Radiation Test Database - Radiation test results for many components.
- SatSearch, CubeSatShop - Search engines for satellite parts and their datasheets
- Smallsat Parts on Orbit Now (SPOON) - A one-stop-shop database of smallsat parts.
- The AMSAT CubeSat Simulator Project - a low cost satellite emulator that runs on solar panels and batteries, transmits UHF radio telemetry, has a 3D printed frame, and can be extended by additional sensors and modules.
- UPSat - Open source satellite software and hardware
- LFR transceiver - Little Free Radio (LFR) is an open source, command, telemetry, and data radio for cubesats.
- OpenLST transceiver hardware and firmware - OpenLST is an open source, proven radio design for communicating with remote instruments, vehicles, and stations using low-cost commercial components. Based on Planet Labs' telemetry/command radio.
- MIT Tetra and its fork, ESA Tetra - Open source star tracker which relies more extensively on hashes for faster lookups
- Oresat star tracker - Open star tracker hardware with software, based on UPNanosatLab's openstartracker (which doesn't compile or have hardware)
- Core Flight System - NASA portable and extendable flight software framework with extensive flight heritage and a growing suite of applications and platform ports
- FossaSat-1 - Hardware designs and software for the FossaSat-1 Pocketqube satellite (GitHub)
- JPL F Prime - F Prime (FÊ¹) is a component-driven framework that enables rapid development and deployment of spaceflight and other embedded software applications, originally developed at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
- KubOS - An open-source flight software framework for satellites
- LibreCube - Open source space and Earth exploration. Defining a generic architecture of system of systems that have standardized interfaces makes it possible to combine and reuse elements for various applications
- NanoSat MO Framework - A software framework for nanosatellites based on the latest CCSDS standards. Developed by ESA and used in OPS-SAT mission (GitHub)
- OpenSatKit - A complete Core Flight System training and application development environment that includes COSMOS and 42
- UPSat - Open source satellite software and hardware
- Apollo 11 Guidance Code - Original Apollo 11 Guidance Computer (AGC) source code for the command and lunar modules
Tracking & Orbit Determination
- AstriaGraph - Open source data and visualization of all known objects in Earth’s orbit
- Astro::Coord::ECI::TLE - Perl implementation of NORAD progation models
- Gpredict - Open source, real-time satellite tracking and orbit prediction application.
- Orb Calc - Generate positions of objects from orbital parameters.
- Orbit Determination Tool Kit (ODTK) - Processes traditional and non-traditional measurements using a sequential filter & matched smoother to generate orbits with realistic covariance (paid). From Analytical Graphics, Inc.
- Orekit - An accurate and efficient core layer for space flight dynamics applications written in Java.
- Predict - PHP implementation of the SGP4 and SDP4 models for prediction, based on Gpredict
- python-sgp4 - Python implementation of most recent version of the SGP4 satellite tracking algorithm
- Space-Track.org - Programmatic access to Two-Line Elements, Orbital Mean-Elements, satellite catalog information, space debris, and more.
- Where the ISS at? - Real time tracking of the International Space Station, with email push notifications for upcoming passes and a REST API for integrations. Based on Predict
- Gaia Sky - Real-time, 3D, astronomy visualization software developed in the framework of ESA's Gaia mission. Runs on Windows, Linux and macOS.
- LeoLabs Visualization - Low Earth Orbit Catalog Visualization.
To the extent possible under law, The Orbital Index has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.