If a username is deemed inappropriate, the user account should be closed. Adding a shadowban before closing the account, will ensure that the email address can't be used to create a new account.
Usernames are public and displayed all over the site. They will be read by kids using lichess.
In general, a username chosen with the intent of generating negative emotional reactions, is bad. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Usernames with offensive/sensitive topics, e.g. race, gender, sexuality, politics
- Usernames that are disparaging towards others
- Usernames impersonating living people (impersonating means that you can reasonably be mistaken for someone you are not)
- Usernames advertising websites that are unrelated to chess. Chess websites are always ok to mention.
- Usernames should not imply you have a FIDE title or the Lichess Master title (LameName.scala)
Moderators will always be able to use their judgement to override these rules.