Access the MODIS web service and perform quality filtering using R
Author: ORNL DAAC
Date: February 27, 2018
Contact for ORNL DAAC: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: MODIS, web service, R, REST
The tutorial outlined in the jupyter notebook will explore using the R to access MODIS Land Products through the new (May 2018) REST-based web service hosted by the ORNL DAAC. For a full description and usage examples of the web service, please visit the ORNL DAAC's MODIS site: https://modis.ornl.gov/data/modis_webservice.html
Using the MODIS Web Service users can:
- Retrieve MODIS subsets through command line operations
- Download and integrate subsets directly into client-side workflows
- Download and visualize subsets with customized code
- ... and much more.
This tutorial will demonstrate how to do the following in R:
- dates and subset request examples
- build a time series of MOD11A2 land surface temperature from multiple web service subset requests
- perform quality control filtering based on multiple MODIS qc criteria
Other methods for accessing data through the web service are described at the MODIS web page; https://modis.ornl.gov.
R (3.x recommended). R libraries: httr, readr, jsonlite, ggplot2, scales
Note: Not all libraries required. readr enables conversation of text response into data.frame; jsonlite enables conversion of json response.
Access the the tutorial here: