OSHI is a free JNA-based (native) Operating System and Hardware Information library for Java. It doesn't require the installation of any additional native libraries and aims to provide a cross-platform implementation to retrieve system information, such as OS version, processes, memory & CPU usage, disks & partitions, devices, sensors, etc.
OSHI provides lightweight Java objects to enable the core functionality in the
and extends that with flexible, configurable JSON-formatted data in the
Windows • Linux • Mac OS X • Unix (Solaris, FreeBSD)
- Computer System and firmware, baseboard
- Operating System and Version/Build
- Physical (core) and Logical (hyperthreaded) CPUs
- System and per-processor load % and tick counters
- CPU uptime, processes, and threads
- Process uptime, cpu, memory usage
- Physical and virtual memory used/available
- Mounted filesystems (type, usable and total space)
- Disk drives (model, serial, size) and partitions
- Network interfaces (IPs, bandwidth in/out)
- Battery state (% capacity, time remaining)
- Connected displays (with EDID info)
- USB Devices
- Sensors (temperature, fan speeds, voltage)
|Stable Release Version||Current Development Version||Dependencies|
|oshi-core-3.9.1||oshi-core-3.10.0-SNAPSHOT||JNA • SLF4J|
OSHI provides output directly via java methods or, for the
oshi-json project, in JSON format for each of its interfaces.
By periodically polling dynamic information (e.g., every second), users can calculate and track changes.
main() method of SystemInfoTest
provides sample code demonstrating the use of
oshi-core interfaces to retrieve information and calculate additional metrics such as the below examples.
General information about the operating system and computer system.
Apple macOS 10.12.3 (Sierra) build 16D32 manufacturer: Apple Inc. model: MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,2) serialnumber: C02FG6XYDF71
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz 4 physical CPU(s) 8 logical CPU(s) Identifier: Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 ProcessorID: BFEBFBFF000206A7
By measuring ticks (user, nice, system, idle, iowait, and irq) between time intervals, percent usage can be calculated. Java MXBean and per-processor information is also provided.
CPU, IOWait, and IRQ ticks @ 0 sec:[967282, 15484, 195343, 124216619], 6176, [4054, 2702] CPU, IOWait, and IRQ ticks @ 1 sec:[967308, 15484, 195346, 124216790], 6177, [4057, 2705] User: 13.0% Nice: 0.0% System: 1.5% Idle: 85.5% CPU load: 8.8% (counting ticks) CPU load: 9.0% (OS MXBean) CPU load averages: 2.69 2.47 2.38 CPU load per processor: 23.6% 1.3% 18.2% 0.7% 12.9% 0.7% 12.1% 1.3%
Process information including CPU and memory per process is available.
Processes: 401, Threads: 1159 PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS Name 55977 27.9 0.2 6.8 GiB 34.3 MiB java 51820 18.7 5.6 6.3 GiB 919.2 MiB eclipse 39272 11.2 17.8 7.1 GiB 2.8 GiB prl_vm_app 85316 6.5 2.9 5.6 GiB 471.4 MiB thunderbird 35301 5.4 0.5 1.7 GiB 89.8 MiB Microsoft Excel
Memory and swapfile information is available.
Memory: 2.9 GiB/16 GiB Swap used: 90.8 MiB/1 GiB
The EDID for each Display is provided. This can be parsed with various utilities for detailed information. OSHI provides a summary of selected data.
Displays: Display 0: Manuf. ID=SAM, Product ID=2ad, Analog, Serial=HA19, ManufDate=3/2008, EDID v1.3 41 x 27 cm (16.1 x 10.6 in) Preferred Timing: Clock 106MHz, Active Pixels 3840x2880 Range Limits: Field Rate 56-75 Hz vertical, 30-81 Hz horizontal, Max clock: 140 MHz Monitor Name: SyncMaster Serial Number: H9FQ345476 Display 1: Manuf. ID=SAM, Product ID=226, Analog, Serial=HA19, ManufDate=4/2007, EDID v1.3 41 x 26 cm (16.1 x 10.2 in) Preferred Timing: Clock 106MHz, Active Pixels 3840x2880 Range Limits: Field Rate 56-75 Hz vertical, 30-81 Hz horizontal, Max clock: 140 MHz Monitor Name: SyncMaster Serial Number: HMCP431880
Disks and usage (reads, writes, transfer times) are shown, and partitions can be mapped to filesystems.
Disks: disk0: (model: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB - S/N: 161008800550) size: 960.2 GB, reads: 1053132 (23.0 GiB), writes: 243792 (11.1 GiB), xfer: 73424854 ms |-- disk0s1: EFI (EFI System Partition) Maj:Min=1:1, size: 209.7 MB |-- disk0s2: Macintosh HD (Macintosh SSD) Maj:Min=1:2, size: 959.3 GB @ / disk1: (model: Disk Image - S/N: ) size: 960.0 GB, reads: 3678 (60.0 MiB), writes: 281 (8.6 MiB), xfer: 213627 ms |-- disk1s1: EFI (EFI System Partition) Maj:Min=1:4, size: 209.7 MB |-- disk1s2: Dropbox (disk image) Maj:Min=1:5, size: 959.7 GB @ /Volumes/Dropbox
Sensor readings are available for some hardware (see notes in the FAQ).
Sensors: CPU Temperature: 69.8°C Fan Speeds:[4685, 4687] CPU Voltage: 3.9V
Attached USB devices can be listed:
USB Devices: AppleUSBEHCI |-- Root Hub Simulation Simulation (Apple Inc.) |-- IOUSBHostDevice |-- IR Receiver (Apple Computer, Inc.) |-- USB Receiver (Logitech) AppleUSBEHCI |-- Root Hub Simulation Simulation (Apple Inc.) |-- FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) (Apple Inc.) [s/n: DJHB1V077FDH5HL0] |-- IOUSBHostDevice |-- Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad (Apple Inc.) |-- BRCM2070 Hub (Apple Inc.) |-- Bluetooth USB Host Controller (Apple Inc.) AppleUSBEHCI |-- Root Hub Simulation Simulation (Apple Inc.) |-- IOUSBHostDevice |-- Apple Thunderbolt Display (Apple Inc.) [s/n: 162C0C25] |-- Display Audio (Apple Inc.) [s/n: 162C0C25] |-- FaceTime HD Camera (Display) (Apple Inc.) [s/n: CCGCAN000TDJ7DFX] |-- USB2.0 Hub |-- ANT USBStick2 (Dynastream Innovations) [s/n: 051] |-- Fitbit Base Station (Fitbit Inc.)
git clone https://github.com/oshi/oshi.git && cd oshi mvn test-compile -pl oshi-core -q exec:java \ -Dexec.mainClass="oshi.SystemInfoTest" \ -Dexec.classpathScope="test"
Where are we?
OSHI originated as a platform-independent library that did not require additional software and had a license compatible with both open source and commercial products. We've developed a strong core of features on major Operating Systems, but we would love you to help by:
- Testing! Download and test the program on different software and hardware and help identify gaps that our limited development and testing may have missed.
- Contributing ports. Have an OS that's not covered? It's likely one of the existing ports can be slightly modified.
- Contributing code. See something that's not working right or could work better? Help us fix it! New contributors welcome.
- Documenting implementation. Our Wiki is blank. Want to help new users follow in your footsteps?
- Suggesting new features. Do you need OSHI to do something it doesn't currently do? Let us know.
Many thanks to the following companies for providing free support of Open Source projects including OSHI:
- SonarCloud for a range of code quality tools
- Travis CI for continuous integration testing
- The jProfile Java Profiler used to eliminate cpu bottlenecks
Projects using OSHI
- Systeminfo Binding for OpenHAB
- OfficeConnector for Atlassian Confluence
- Hawkular WildFly Agent for Hawkular
- Stefan's OS
This project is licensed under the Eclipse Public License 1.0.