A gourmet burger designed for Adam Costenbader with elements of the Skeen Burger and The Best Grilled Burger from Cook's Illustrated August 2014.
For ten 1/3 lb burgers.
###Overview This is a sirloin burger seasoned with hot sauce and apples on a toasted bun. On the bottom is bacon marmalade and fresh cilantro. On the top is crispy bacon and melted gouda with bacon paprika mayo on the bun. Enjoy!
|1 recipe Bacon Mayo|
|1 bottle Bacon Marmalade|
|10 gourmet burger buns|
|3 lb sirloin steak|
|1 stick unsalted butter|
|1/4 C siracha sauce|
|1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers|
|1/2 C chunky apple sauce|
|1 bunch cilantro|
|1 pkg bacon|
|6 oz shredded apple-wood smoked gouda|
- Cook full package of bacon. Suggest cooking on medium-hot grill in cast iron skillet. Drain twice being careful not to splatter yourself by pouring away from yourself. Set aside.
- While bacon cooks, melt 1/4 stick of butter and brush on buns (spray with butter spray if needed). After bacon is done, toast the buns on the grill and set aside.
- Cut sirloin steak and remaining butter into bite-sized pieces and place on cookie sheet and put into the freezer for 20 mins until the steak is firm but pliable.
- Make a recipe of bacon mayo.
- Chop the cilantro into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a bowl.
- Shred the gouda and place in a bowl.
- With a food processor, pulse the stiffened sirloin and butter for 5 second pulses until the meat is rice-grained sized; about 5 times.
- Spread sirloin out on cookie sheet and season with salt and pepper, siracha, crumbled crackers, and apple sauce. Toss gently and divide into five equal portions.
- From each portion make two burger patties and place on a cookie sheet coated with non-stick spray. Put a small depression in the center of the burger so that it cooks up flat.
- Freeze the burger patties for 30 minutes.
- Fifteen minutes before grilling, heat grill to high, scrape, and wipe down with a mixture of 1/2 C water and 2 T vegetable oil using a paper towel and tongs.
- Grill burgers about 4 minutes and flip once. Distribute bacon and gouda on top. Grill another 4 or 5 minutes until done.
- Put a generous amount of bacon marmalade on bottom buns and distribute cilantro on top of that, then place cooked burger on bottom bun.
- Put a generous amount of bacon mayo on top bun and serve.