Discover and Hack URL handlers
URL handlers are the bits in the front of the URLs (e.g. http:, https:, ftp:, skype:). They add things a web page can do to you and your device. Surprising applications have a nasty habit to register these without asking. Learn more from our videos or presentation.
Try it out on the web
Try it out locally
If you plan to dig deeper you can use these tools locally. A quick start to get more out of this on OSX:
git clone https://github.com/ouspg/urlhandlers.git cd handlers/web ../osx/handlers-list.py > handlers.json python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080
This repository collects discovery, testing and instrumentation tooling for research in URL handlers.
- OSX: Python based discovery tool
- Windows: Windows Powershell Script prototype [WIP]
- Launcher for the OSX Launch Services
- HTML file with direct invocation (e.g. iframe)
- HTML redirects
- execve monitoring DTrace-script (tested on OSX)