chkcrontab is a script to check crontab files like those in
/etc/crontab. It tries to catch glaring
errors and warn on suspect lines in a crontab file. Some valid
lines will generate warnings. Certain silly yet valid crontab lines
will generate errors as well.
Run this by doing:
Errors will cause a non-zero exit code. Warnings alone will not.
To see sample output for a bad crontab, run the following:
./tests/test_crontab.disable crontab for how to disable
warnings and errors.
Contributions are welcome! Please add unit tests for new features
or bug fixes. To run all the unit tests run
If you have tox installed, just run
You can review coverage of added tests by running
coverage run setup.py test and then running
coverage report -m.
Note that tests are run on Travis for all supported python versions whenever the tree on github is pushed to.
The main site for this is on code.google.com with a backup site at github. Use whichever is convenient, the maintainer will push accepted patches to both.
- Look for duplicate entries. Puppet sometimes loads up crontabs with dups.
- Check for backticks. (why?)
- Make sure MAILTO and PATH are set (perhaps others?).
- Add tests for command line.
- Kevin Lyda: Who got burned one too many times by broken crontabs.