888 888 _ooooooooo._ 888 ,o888PP""""PP88 .d88b. 888 888 .d88b. 888d888 888888 .d88b. 88888b. .d88b. d88P'' ' d88""88b 888 888 d8P Y8b 888P" 888 d88""88b 888 "88b d8P Y8b ,88P 88 88 Y88 88P 88888888 888 888 88 88 888 888 88888888 ,88 Y88..88P Y8bd8P Y8b. 888 Y88b. Y88..88P 888 888 Y8b. ,88' "Y88P" Y88P "Y8888 888 "Y888 "Y88P" 888 888 "Y8888 d8P d8b 88[ `88 J88 Y8b ,88' Y8b. d88' `Y8b._ _o88P `Y888oo.____ooo888P' '"PP888888PP''
Collaborative Programmable Music.
Overtone is an Open Source toolkit for designing synthesizers and collaborating with music. It provides:
- A Clojure API to the SuperCollider synthesis engine
- A growing library of musical functions (scales, chords, rhythms, arpeggiators, etc.)
- Metronome and timing system to support live-programming and sequencing
- Plug and play MIDI device I/O
- A full Open Sound Control (OSC) client and server implementation.
- Pre-cache - a system for locally caching external assets such as .wav files
- An API for querying and fetching sounds from http://freesound.org
- A global concurrent event stream
# Install lein2 # https://github.com/technomancy/leiningen $ lein new insane-noises # add the following dependencies to insane-noises/project.clj # [org.clojure/clojure "1.8.0"] # [overtone "0.10.1"] $ cd insane-noises $ lein repl
;; boot the server user=> (use 'overtone.live) ;; listen to the joys of a simple sine wave user=> (demo (sin-osc)) ;; or something more interesting... user=>(demo 7 (lpf (mix (saw [50 (line 100 1600 5) 101 100.5])) (lin-lin (lf-tri (line 2 20 5)) -1 1 400 4000)))
For a more detailed set of setup instructions (including details specific to Windows and Linux) head over to the Overtone wiki installation page
We maintain documentation for all aspects of the system in the project wiki, you'll find tutorials and examples on topics such as synthesizing new sounds from scratch, live-coding and generating musical scores on the fly. If you see anything missing, please feel free to add it yourself, or hit us up on the mailing list and we'll sort something out.
For a quick glance at all the exciting functionality Overtone puts at your musical fingertips check out the cheat sheet:
Overtone Powered Bands
A list of bands using Overtone to generate sounds:
We encourage you to join the mailing list to see what other people are getting up to with Overtone. Use it to ask questions, show off what you've made and even meet fellow Overtoners in your area so you can meet up for impromptu jam sessions. All we ask is that you be considerate, courteous and respectful and that you share as much of your code as possible so we can all learn how to make crazy cool sounds together.
@overtone on Twitter: http://twitter.com/overtone
Our main website is hosted on GitHub: http://overtone.github.io
Head over to Vimeo for a fast-paced 4 minute introduction to live-coding with Overtone to see what's possible
For a nice overview of the basics of creating and playing with synthesized instruments in Overtone checkout Philip Potter's 20 minute workshop:
Chris Ford also delivers a beautifully paced introduction to fundamental music concepts from basic sine waves to Bach's Goldberg Variations with live examples throughout:
There are also the following tutorials:
- Setting up an Overtone Development Environment - Running on Edge http://vimeo.com/25102399
- How to Hack Overtone with Emacs http://vimeo.com/25190186
- Rich Hickey - Harmonikit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhkdyCPYgLs
- Sam Aaron - Programming Music With Overtone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imoWGsipe4k
- Chris Ford - Functional Composition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfsnlbd-4xQ
- Meta-eX - Live Coding with Meta-eX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJqH5bNcIN0
Overtone has generated quite a bit of interest. Here's a list of available interviews which go into further depth on the background and philosophy of Overtone:
- http://codebassradio.net/2011/11/29/runtime-expectations-episode-13-hot-clojure-conj/ (scroll down to the section with Sam Aaron, Ghadi Shayban, and Daniel Spiewak)
- Sam Aaron Live @ Arnolfini: https://vimeo.com/46867490
- Meta-eX Live @ Music Tech Fest: http://youtu.be/zJqH5bNcIN0?t=15m25s
Downloads and the source repository can be found on GitHub:
Clone the repository on GitHub to get started developing, and if you are ready to submit a patch then fork your own copy and do a pull request.
Overtone and its dependencies are on http://clojars.org, and the
dependency for your