This is the ownCloud documentation. It currently focuses on the server, client manuals are in the respective git repositories. Because of the complexity of the server and the split into the core and apps modules, the manuals are in this separate directory.
All documentation in this repository is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license (CC BY 3.0).
For PHP documentation you'll need to get the according language domain package. The documenation for PHP source is located at http://packages.python.org/sphinxcontrib-phpdomain/reference.html
At this point, this repository hosts three manuals:
- Users Manual: Covers topics from an end user's Point of View
- Administrators Manual: Setup, Deployment, Best Practices, etc.
- Developers Manual: Developing Apps for ownCloud & understanding the core Architecture.
- First make sure that these things are installed
Python 2 (2.6.0 or better, Python 3 is not yet supported!)
Sphinx (e.g. sudo yum install python-sphinx), on Mac: sudo easy_install Sphinx
Sphinx PHPDomain (e.g. sudo easy_install sphinxcontrib-phpdomain)
rst2pdf (e.g. sudo easy_install rst2pdf)
If you're on Arch Linux, the build script is called sphinx-build2 which will fail. Therefore you have to provide a link:
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/sphinx-build2 /usr/bin/sphinx-build
then enter any manual directory, then run make html. The result can be found in the _build/html subdirectory. PDFs can be build with the make latexpdf command and found
Running setup.cmd will install Python 2.7 and install all dependencies.
Enter any manual and clicking the "Build HTML" shortcut will create a HTML build. Likewise, "Build PDF" will build the PDF using the more lightweight, but feature-incomplete RST2PDF tool. The results are in _build/html and _build/pdf respectively.
Somtimes, documentation might exist as Word or LibreOffice document. To make it part of the documentation, follow these steps:
- Install Python 2.x
- Install odt2shpinx (easy_install odt2sphinx)
- Install GCC/clang (Xcode command line tools required on Mac OS)
- doc/docx files need to be stored as odt first
- Run odt2sphinx my.docx
- Move the resulting rst files in place and reference them
- Wrap text lines at 80 chars, apply markup fixes