Zone of Control
The project is discontinued
Sorry, friends. ZoC is discontinued. See https://ozkriff.github.io/2017-08-17--devlog.html
Precompiled binaries for linux, win and osx: https://github.com/ozkriff/zoc/releases
ZoC is a turn-based hexagonal strategy game written in Rust.
Core game features are:
- advanced fog of war
- slot system (single tile fits multiple units)
- reaction fire (xcom-like)
- morale and suppression
Player's objective is to capture and hold control zones for certain number of turns.
- Infantry - weak, but can use terrain like Trees or City to get a defence bonus and hide from enemies; can be transported by trucks. Types:
- rifleman - basic infantry type, 4 soldiers in a squad;
- smg - more deadly on short distances, less deadly on full range, 3 soldiers in a squad;
- scout - weak, but have advances visibility range and can better detect hidden enemies, 2 soldiers in a squad;
- mortar - defenceless, but can shoot smokescreen rounds, slow;
- field gun - effective against vehicles, slow and can't be transported inside of track, but can be _towed_;
- Vehicles - can't hide in terrain, can't occupy buildings. Can't see hidden infantry. Leave a wreck when destroyed. Can take in a tow vehicle or wrecks lighter than themselves. Types:
- jeep - fast and effective against infantry and helicopters;
- truck - can transport infantry;
- light tank
- light self-propelled gun - has an armor of a light tank, but a gun of medium tank;
- medium tank
- heavy tank
- mammoth tank
- Aircrafts - can fly above all terrain features; it's line of sight isn't blocked by terrain. Only one type was implemented: - Helicopter
- every unit initially have 100 morale points and restore 10 points every turn
- morale is reduced by half a a damage chance (hit chance / armor protection) when a unit is attacked even if attack missed;
- if a soldier of the squad is killed additional suppression is added
- if a unit's morale falls below 50, then it's suppressed and can't attack anymore
- Some playtest (recorded in 2019, but uses a game build from 2017): https://youtu.be/3_ZPtwnMQVU
- AI, reaction fire and sectors (2016.06.08): https://youtu.be/hI6YmZeuZ3s
- transporter, roads (2016.08.07): https://youtu.be/_0_U-h1KCAE
- smoke, water and bridges (2016.08.20): https://youtu.be/WJHkuWwAb7A
Basic game assets are stored in a separate repo: https://github.com/ozkriff/zoc_assets
make assets (or
git clone https://github.com/ozkriff/zoc_assets assets) to download them.
make run or
cargo run or
For instructions on setting up your environment see https://github.com/tomaka/android-rs-glue#setting-up-your-environment.
make android_run - this will build .apk, install and run it.
ZoC is distributed under the terms of both the MIT license and the Apache License (Version 2.0).