Social Media and Political Participation
This repository contains the recitation materials prepared by Pablo Barberá for the undergraduate course "Social Media and Political Participation" (NYU-AD 160J), taught by Prof. Joshua Tucker in January 2014 and 2015 at New York University - Abu Dhabi. Click here to access the syllabus.
There were a total of six different lab sessions. The first two recitations introduced students to statistical analysis using R. The third recitation focused on Twitter: what is it? what data is available through the API? how can we analyze it in R? The fourth session adopted a similar approach, but for Facebook. Session five covered more advanced examples of analyses of social media data, with the goal of providing students with an extensive set of tools to use in their final projects. The final recitation covered additional examples, but was mostly devoted to help students with their projects.
- R script: first steps in R
- R script: reading and analyzing data with R
- Example dataset: posts on NYU Abu Dhabi's Facebook page
- R script: advanced examples of Twitter data analysis with R
- Example dataset: tweets sent by Sen. John McCain
- R script: advanced examples of Facebook data analysis with R
- Example dataset: Facebook posts by Sen. John McCain