McSandy: The HTML5 offline Sandbox
- Version: 0.2.1
- License: Copyright 2014 Frank M. Taylor. All Rights Reserved
- Prerequisites: IE10+, other modern browsers that support CSS flexbox and blob urls
McSandy isn't the only web-based, live preview editor out there. Here's what makes McSandy unique:
- McSandy let you save your work into local storage
- Your project gets a hashable url, so you can bookmark it:
- You can export your work into an HTML file (it's that download button)
- McSandy knows when you have an internet connection and uses any external libraries appropriately
- McSandy is a single file: mcsandy.html
- McSandy doesn't need an internet connection
- ctrl + shift + i: Toggle information window
- ctrl + s: save
- ctrl + r: run
- ctrl + d: download
- ctrl + l: load
- ctrl + shift + e: toggle editor
- ctrl + shift + p: toggle projects
- ctrl + shift + del: delete project
- ctrl + shift + +: New Project
- ctrl + shift + n: Open Editor panel in a new window
- ctrl + shift + h: toggle Horizontal layout
The Technologies Behind McSandy
- localStorage (for storing data)
online(for showing whether you have internet)
- Blob URLs (for doing the live-preview in an iframe)
- fileReader for reading and generating files
- drag and drop (for dropping files into your edit areas)
- Eli Grey's filesaver.js is used for the export, until a McSandy-specific solution is developed.
- CSS3's Flexbox module for layout. Flexbox is supported in IE10+
If you'd like a feature, jump on over to the Issues page and request one. Label it as an enhancement and assign it to me.
###What's an SFWA? ###
An SFWA is a Single File Web Application. This means the entire application functions in a single html file. There are no dependencies on any external libraries. Once you've downloaded McSandy (mcsandy.html), you're ready to start coding.
How can I save my work?
localstorage to save your projects. You can save and delete any of your projects by clicking on the save button at the bottom, or by using the keyboard command ctrl + s
How can I get my work back?
At the bottom of McSandy, there's a select box where you can retrieve your old projects. Select the project and just click the load button.
You can also retrieve your projects as a hash in the URL:
This means that you can bookmark your projects!
How can I add external files?
How can I export my work?
At the bottom of McSandy is a download button. This will export your current project to a static HTML file.
McSandy is not open-sourced. Copyright and all rights reserved by Frank M. Taylor, 2014.