Being a spinoff of the #idleg Twitter hashtag, pronounced by some as Idle-G.
Interactive Portal to Idaho Legislature - BETA RELEASE
In development, i.e. use at your own risk
This project is part of a master's degree in "Data Journalism" at Boise State University. I'm building an alternative legislative portal for the state of Idaho that:
- Uses data from the Sunlight Foundation Open States Project API to provide a rich dataset of state legislative data
- Provides social tools for bills and other legislative actions, allowing constituents to "testify" on bills online
- Provides some basic statistics on legislative actions
- Provides a means to parse votes in various ways - by bill, lawmaker, party, etc.
- Demonstrates the type of information that hacker-journalists can access
Demonstrates the cross-over between "open government" and "open news" initiatives
In this idleg_flask repo, I'm refactoring and building out the project with Python Flask
Setup for Developers
- Python 2.6 or higher
- A Sunlight Labs API Key - Read their instructions to install the key and use the Python library
- Recommend installing in virtualenv and virtualenvwrapper
$ pip install virtualenv $ virtualenv idleg_flask $ cd idleg_flask $ source bin/activate $ pip install flask
- Then fork the repository if you want or just clone it to your virtualenv:
$ git clone https://github.com/paleomedia/idleg_flask.git
- Finally, install dependencies (note: requirements.txt contains some bloat... will clean up dependencies at a later date)
$ pip install -r requirements.txt
I think that will work... but please let us know if you run into problems getting it running. And remember, the app is still in development...
How to run