Companionate allows you to solve the problem of logging into a machine you don't have your password manager authenticated on by letting you enter the details on a device with the password manager on, and then use QR codes to transfer the information
How to use
- Load "Make code" page on your device with the password manager and enter the login.
- Load "Use code" page on the other machine, and scan in the QR code from your device
Running your own
It's a Single Page App, and all the current dependencies are installed, but you'll need an HTTPS server to make it work (because of webcam data limitations). Easiest way to get one of those is:
- Install OpenSSL and Python (via your package manager of choice)
openssl req -new -x509 -keyout server.pem -out server.pem -days 365 -nodes
- Open https://localhost:4443
I've copied various of the dependencies manually in, but you should have a full install for local dev.
- Install Node and Yarn
rm -Rf bower_components(to get rid of the manually added items)
If you add new components with Bower, don't forget to add the needed
parts for standalone running explicitly with
git add -f.
- What if I don't have a webcam on the "other machine"? - Well, then this won't work. Major target was shared machines in a meeting room being used to demo things, and many of those get used for video conferencing these days, so webcams are quite common.